• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad Checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Virginia

I have been helping my parents pay theyre bills, by giving them blank signed checks to extract money from my account. I hadnt been watching the account, and my Parents wrote a few checks for amounts in the thousands. My account isnt that big, and they have bounced. I already have bad credit, and cant get a loan to pay off the debt to my account (already in the 2,000 dollar range) The bank went ahead and paid the smaller ones but the check for $1600 got refused and theres no payment in sight.. So its a bad check. Is this a fraudulant check? And if so, What should I do?



Senior Member
From Virginia Beach Economic Crimes Unit:

Who investigates non-sufficient funds checks (NSF) and account closed checks?...
Before we can get into who investigates the above we first must determine if the check is a criminal matter. In order for the check to be a criminal matter it must be "for present consideration for goods or services." That means that a payment for a past debt or money owed on an account is not a criminal matter. These matters should be handled in civil court.

You can read the rest here:


The 1,600 is not your debt, but you could be held responsible for the fees charged by both banks.

Have you spoken to the branch manager of your bank? They are sometimes willing to adjust the fees if you explain the situation to them. Don't let this go because it will be listed on your credit report and you will probably have a hard time obtaining another account with any other bank!


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential