• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bad coworker, my responsibility to tell management?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emilye

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I am a bartender in a restaurant/bar. The girl I am forced to work with behind the same bar is extremely rude to customers to the point that I have had to apologize to them and have on one occasion overheard a customer telling her she has a bad attitude and is rude. On any given night, I would say at least 3 customers tell me she has been rude to them. Over the last few weeks she has gotten worse. I know her homelife sucks, as well as her other job (she told me she is in danger of being written up there for attitude, insubordination, sleezy attire and other infractions).

She was sent home last week in the middle of a shift after she confronted a group of regulars and told them they could no longer sit at the bar since they don't tip her, with her attitude I don't see why they would though. She complained to the manager on duty that the customers were being rude (yes, she changed her story upon speaking with the manager.)

What are my obligations to my manager and job with regard to this situation? When customers do come to me and complain, I apologize and suggest they speak with a manager. Obviously most don't, for whatever reason, and just say they will never go to her again, and that she shouldn't be in that kind of work.

I agree that she shouldn't do this kind of work. It takes a certain kind of person to continue to be polite to rude, drunk customers who sometimes treat a server like crap and don't tip, either not knowing or not caring that we make $2.09/hour without the tips. And she is NOT that kind of person. But the job can be very financially rewarding for those of us willing to smile regardless and put up with the few rude ones.

Since I have knowledge of her being rude and unprofessional, what will happen if I continue to keep my mouth shut? Can I get in trouble or fired for not coming forward?

I was hoping that she would at some point realize that she needs to put on a happy face at this job or probably lose it. After being sent home the other week, she told me she worried for 4 days that she was going to be fired. But her memory is so short apparently that she told off some other people during the next shift and told them never to come to her again since they didn't tip her well enough (she told me this herself).

I don't want to be in the middle of her mess. On one hand I do feel an obligation to let management know what is going on, but on the other hand I have not witnesses any of these displays (except the one I mentioned above), and have only the heresay of the customers.

Would you suggest that I just continue to apologize and suggest to the customer that they contact the manager?

Beth3

What are my obligations to my manager and job with regard to this situation? Legally, none, however you may be doing your employer a great favor by sharing your insight as to how she is treating customers and the complaints you've received about her.

Since I have knowledge of her being rude and unprofessional, what will happen if I continue to keep my mouth shut? Nobody here can predict how your employer will respond if you don't say anything or even if you do.

Can I get in trouble or fired for not coming forward? Potentially, yes. It's not unreasonable to expect an employee to inform management when he or she is aware that another employee is behaving in a way that is damaging to the business. If, for example, you knew she was stealing and you said nothing, I expect management would be mighty upset with you.

Would you suggest that I just continue to apologize and suggest to the customer that they contact the manager? I can only tell you that if I were your manager, I would appreciate your speaking to me in private and telling me what is going on so I could address the problem. I can't imagine that the restaurant/bar isn't in danger of losing customers (and may well already have) because of her behavior.

Good luck.

staciemarie_98

Share your concerns

I would definately share your concerns with the Manager. It would not be fair to anyone involved for you to keep this to yourself. Even the "rude girl".

emilye

Thanks for reading and responding. As I said I do feel and obligation to let the managers know... but when it is all heresay and the complaintants aren't insulted or upset enough to report it to a manager when I offer to have one come talk to them, I have been reluctant.

What would you suggest when approaching management? Tell them I have had complaints but not really witnessed her being unprofessional?

I don't want her to know that I reported her, obviously. She will be pretty pissed off whether she gets fired or not, and I really don't deserve retaliation which will be likely forthcoming if I rat on her.

For arguments sake, say they do fire her, does she have the right to know who told on her? As a "right to work state" - Colorado, couldn't the employer just say 'you're fired, goodbye,' no explanation required?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Right to work means that you cannot be forced to join a union to get work. You mean that Colorado is an at-will state.

Your employers will have no legal obligation to inform her of who made the complaint. They do not have to tell her why she is being fired although I believe they should. (Not who reported her; just the reason for the termination.)

emilye

thanks

ok, I guess so, I had always heard it referred to as 'right to work'... good to know the correct terminology. Thanks for the advice/info guys.

Beth3

What would you suggest when approaching management? Tell them I have had complaints but not really witnessed her being unprofessional? Just ask the boss if you can speak to him privately and then lay it all out for him.

I don't want her to know that I reported her, obviously. She will be pretty pissed off whether she gets fired or not, and I really don't deserve retaliation which will be likely forthcoming if I rat on her. You can't control her behavior and how she responds to anything management does. If she gives you a hard time, then report that to management too.

For arguments sake, say they do fire her, does she have the right to know who told on her? No. And you certainly may ask the boss when you speak with him that you'd prefer he not tell her that it was you that reported her behavior.

As a "right to work state" - Colorado, couldn't the employer just say 'you're fired, goodbye,' no explanation required? As cbg said, you mean "at will," and yes, the employer can just say "goodbye, you're fired" with no explanation. However it's usually best to tell an employee why he or she is being terminated even if it's just "We don't care for your attitude and customers have been complaining about your rudeness. Adios."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">