• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad Faith Insurance Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aquarius29

Run a Carfax report on your VIN. See what comes up.

The insurance company used a salvage company to handle the auction. The salvage company HAS to have a salvage title issued before they can sell the car. I work with one of those companies, they play by the rules. They HAVE to or the state will shut them down.

But used car dealers are NOTORIOUSLY shady. More then once I have had someone total a car, and when I run the value report, it comes back with a salvage title. I go back and tell the owner, and they had no idea that the car was a previous total loss.
Ran a Carfax report yesterday nothing came up that says Salvage Title.

aquarius29

Did the accident show?
No a police report was not filed. The accident was minor the driver and I exchanged information and we both drove away in our cars. Regardless of there being a police report I was under the impression that anytime a title was transferred that the information would appear on Carfax. Shouldn't I be able to see what type of title the car now has since it should have been transferred??

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Did the transfer to the dealer show? Or the transfer to the insurance company?

ecmst12

Insurance companies report accidents too, so since you claimed the accident, it should be on the report. Are you absolutely SURE it's the same car?

aquarius29

Did the transfer to the dealer show? Or the transfer to the insurance company?
No, I contacted the DMV and was told that the title is still showing to be in my lein holder's name. I also ran a CarFax report the last information listed is when I purchased the car.

aquarius29

Insurance companies report accidents too, so since you claimed the accident, it should be on the report. Are you absolutely SURE it's the same car?
I am positive this is the same car. As I previously stated when I saw the ad, out of curiosity I contacted the lot as a interest buyer and told him I would like the VIN to check for any previous accidents. When he gave me the information it matched the exact VIN to my Pacifica.

it hasnt even been 4 months.

How long ago was the accident? It may take a while to record these changes. It takes up to 60 days to get a new title back, and with all these changes maby its being updated.

It has been 4 months since the accident,

and during that 4 months you put in the claim, got a check to pay the body guy, found out engine of POS chrystler is damaged beyond repair, signed and sent the title to the car, returned the check from the co, AND the company put the title in, got it back and salvaged it. AND a dealer got it and you found it again.

all in 4 months.

Why didnt you just get a new car and be happy. if they paid off the lein, you could have eas'ly gotten a new loan with that company.

Last edited:
You could report them to the Better Business Bureau . Explain the situation ect..

However I would wait months (atleast 6) this way process timing will not be an issue .

aquarius29

How long ago was the accident? It may take a while to record these changes. It takes up to 60 days to get a new title back, and with all these changes maby its being updated.

It has been 4 months since the accident,

and during that 4 months you put in the claim, got a check to pay the body guy, found out engine of POS chrystler is damaged beyond repair, signed and sent the title to the car, returned the check from the co, AND the company put the title in, got it back and salvaged it. AND a dealer got it and you found it again.

all in 4 months.

Why didnt you just get a new car and be happy. if they paid off the lein, you could have eas'ly gotten a new loan with that company.
Its been way longer than four months since the accident, the accident occured 7/11/2008. And to answer your question of why didnt I just get a new car and be happy. UUUM, probably because I am not rich and in a position to go to a lot and pick out a car of choice right now. When I purchased this car it was after I saved up for a down payment. I dont think just because the insurance company paid off the car to the lein holder that this justifies them lieing about the condition of the car stating that it was a loss when in fact it was not... I was told by Fred Loya Insurance that the car was a total loss and that it could not be repaired. Then months later I see my car that I saved up for in a Craigs list ad for sale at a car lot listed in PERFECT condition. Someting honestly is not right with this picture. Then to find out after all this time the title has still not been transfered, which means no salvage title.

Zigner

Its been way longer than four months since the accident, the accident occured 7/11/2008. And to answer your question of why didnt I just get a new car and be happy. UUUM, probably because I am not rich and in a position to go to a lot and pick out a car of choice right now. When I purchased this car it was after I saved up for a down payment. I dont think just because the insurance company paid off the car to the lein holder that this justifies them lieing about the condition of the car stating that it was a loss when in fact it was not... I was told by Fred Loya Insurance that the car was a total loss and that it could not be repaired. Then months later I see my car that I saved up for in a Craigs list ad for sale at a car lot listed in PERFECT condition. Someting honestly is not right with this picture. Then to find out after all this time the title has still not been transfered, which means no salvage title.
Look, the INSURANCE company is not the one who has a problem here...don't focus on the insurance company. Focus on the dishonest used car dealer.

aquarius29

Look, the INSURANCE company is not the one who has a problem here...don't focus on the insurance company. Focus on the dishonest used car dealer.
Zigner....Why are you so CERTAIN that the INSURANCE company is not to be investigated?? After the accident no one was ever sent out from the company to see the damages. They basically just accepted what the collision center had told them, I'm assuming because they have a contract/agreement with this collision center.
Ok, and if the car was suppose to be issued a salvage title...WHY IS IT THAT THE DMV DOES NOT HAVE ANY INFO. ABOUT ONE BEING ISSUED?? Still showing an original title on file.

Zigner

Zigner....Why are you so CERTAIN that the INSURANCE company is not to be investigated?? After the accident no one was ever sent out from the company to see the damages. They basically just accepted what the collision center had told them, I'm assuming because they have a contract/agreement with this collision center.
Ok, and if the car was suppose to be issued a salvage title...WHY IS IT THAT THE DMV DOES NOT HAVE ANY INFO. ABOUT ONE BEING ISSUED?? Still showing an original title on file.
You're right - investigate all aspects of the conspiracy to falsely deprive you of your Pacifica.

no it has been almost exactly 4 months. (ok give a few days.)

I find it hard to believe all this occured in 4 months. the ins co paying off the lien ups your credit. so your score is better. they should have givin bbv for the car, and if you put a dp on the car, you should have gotten money back.
i guess you should have just not agreed with the ins co to salvage your car. but then when the engene blew up, and you still had the lien on it it would be a diffrent post wouldnt it. Then you would be mad the ins co didnt fix that problem and refuses too. (mechanical breakdown not covered,. especially after they told you it was going to be a problem) you need to cut your loss and drive carefully.be happy u dont have a car cause your ins premium is about to soar.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">