• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bad references from old boss

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

babsybunny3

My boyfriend had an ongoing personality conflict w/ his boss. When things exploded, my boyfriend was asked to leave. Now he cannot get another job, and has been told that his former boss is giving him a really nasty reference. Anything at all we can do?

M

Marcia M

Go to the library and read a book about getting a new job. Many have suggested ways of counteracting a boss who gives bad references, such as giving the name of co-workers or others in supervisory positions.. Unless the refence is slanderous (false and mean spirited) a mere bad reference isn't actionable. And suing or threatening legal action can make it even worse. "I fired this horrible person and then he used me for a reference, and he sued me for telling the truth."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">