• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bad service in ER

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



texas; My mother has diabetes and was feeling bad so she called ER & told them that her sugar was 50 (was wrong, the machine that checks the sugar was malfunctioning) & they gave her medical advice over the phone to drink a regular coke & consume candy increase her blood sugar, but it turns out that when she went to ER minutes later, her blood sugar was over 400 & with their advice, they made things worst. Once in ER, no doctor ever saw my mother(But boy do they charge for their services!), just a nurse who gave her the wrong discharge instructions, it states on the papers "your condition today shows you have low blood sugar" wrong. We have the lab work, it shows blood sugars of over 388. Then to top it off, the nurse also broke confidentiality by including in my mother's discharge papers blood work results that belonged to someone else (they have someone elses name on it). I called to ER to complain & they refused to give me my mother's nurse's name. We have the signature though. Questions: Can medical advice be given over the phone? Can the doctor charge for services not provided by him/her? should I report this?


Hello Mari22

Answers to your questions may be answered by contacting the states medical agencies listed in the phone book.

Regarding medical services for E.R. just being there and having some type of help offered may constitute as billable for services rendered. Check with the state law on this too.

A Guiding Light Out Of Darkness....:)


I would find a different ER in the future. HOWEVER, 50 is a pretty low blood sugar reading, and to me, the advice to give soda, etc was correct, using the information you gave them.


Dear Mari22:

You have brought up several issues, which must be addressed separately. First, when you call the ER, and report a blood sugar of 50, they are naturally going to give the advice your relative received.

As for the doctors, and can they bill for services they didn't render? In most cases, no. If your mother is a Medicare or Medicaid recipient, file a complaint with the state Department of Human Resources or Health Board.

As for the nurse: contact the hospital licensing authority for the state of Texas and file a formal complaint. More than likely, an investigation will be done, and the hospital will be cited for their sub standard care.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential