• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad water

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? New York

We rent an apartment. On July 19, we received notice from the Department of Health that our water was contaminated and we should boil it before using it. We did, but there was "stuff" floating in it and a thick film on top after we boiled it, so we don't use it.

I'm wondering what would be a fair amount to deduct off the rent for our inconveniece. We've been filling up containers at friends' houses and bringing them home. The landlord only started working on the problem last week. He's putting in some kind of holding tank in the laundry room (so now the washers and dryers are out of commission and it's off to the laundromat we go). We pay $735/month. We pay for all our utilities except for hot water and sewer (even the washers and dryers run on quarters). I feel something should be deducted, but I'm not sure how much, or even if, legally, we can deduct anything. The landlord has not even contacted us about the situation (and it's very difficult to get a hold of him). I've been in contact with the Department of Health, and they tell me the water is still failing their tests. The rent is due on the first, so I'd appreciate any quick responses.



Senior Member
Check out the LT laws at your library. You can find them in NY Consolidated Laws, Real Property, Chapter 50, Article 7. http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/nycodes/c99/a7.html

Check with the local tenants' rights association to see if the LL's failure to fix the problem quickly constitutes a violation of Sec. 235 entitling you to a reduction in rent. (All you tenants can sue LL separately or you can sue together and the court will detemine the reduction.)

Also check your local ordinances. They may provide more protection and allow you to go on a rent strike or to pay your rent to the court until the water is fixed.


Senior Member
Yes I too am curious about the water contamination ( in city water systems there can be numerous reasons the water supplys become fouled ) But in most structures by now most plumbing fixtures that are in use prevent backflow into the system . And the only other things that get into water lines are deposits in very old iron pipes that are flushed when new water mains are hooked up forcing debris into the rest of the water lines Or lead based solders leaching lead into water lines from the soldered joints that were done in the yrs before lead based solder was banned . so this is why i am curious as to what the contamination is . If its lime that is clouding the water and making floaties say in a glass of water its a treatment issue that can be treated at city level or as home owners might do install a softner . any way does this letter list the exact contaminant ? ( Like does it say coliform ? wich would be a city treatment issue ) Or is this structure served by a private well like one would find in more rural areas ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential