• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Molly

Why does a bail bondsman get to keep the bail when the charges were dropped? And can you get the money from the bail bondsman back?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Molly:
Why does a bail bondsman get to keep the bail when the charges were dropped? And can you get the money from the bail bondsman back?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

The bail money belongs to the bondsperson, that's why. It was the bondsperson's money that got you out of jail. If you are talking about the "premium" payment that you paid, that's how a bondsperson makes their income. It's very much like an automobile insurance policy. For example, let's say that the judge ordered a $10,000.00 bail to be paid in order to set you free prior to your trial. But, you don't have $10,000.00. So, in order to "buy" your freedom while awaiting trial, you see your friendly neighborhood bondsperson. He says, "Fine, I'll pay the $10,000.00 to the court, and you pay me 10% of that amount, or $1,000.00." The bail money is paid, and you're free, for now, and it's the only guarantee the court has that you will attend all of your appearances - - an insurance policy premium payment. In other words, if you pay auto insurance, and never get into an accident, you can't get your premium money back if you cancel your insurance. If you skip town while on bail, the Bondsperson pays the court, and Bounty Hunters come after you (that's a whole other story that's really interesting). In summary, the amount you pay to the Bondsperson is a small percentage of the actual bond amount, and that amount is a "premium payment" from which the Bondsperson derives his/her income.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">