• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Baltimore mayor pension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Liarh8r90

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD
I am not sure that I am in the right forum. If not, I apologize.
I was wondering about the pension that the current mayor of Baltimore will receive when she leaves office on February 4, 2010.
She was believed to have used gift cards donated by private businesses for needy families in Baltimore for her own use. She (allegedly) used Best Buy, Target, etc. cards to purchase an X-box, laptop, and camcorder (I could be wrong about the items). She was tried on theft, perjury, and other charges that I can't remember. A jury found her innocent on all charges except perjury. It is widely believed by most residents of Balto that she is in fact guilty.
She put in her resignation 2 weeks ago, effective Feb. 4. She took a deal, I believe, pleading guilty to the perjury charge. Part of her deal was that she resign and pay for her legal fees.
The thing that has most people upset is that she will recieve an $83,000 a year pension. How is that possible? If you are found guilty of any crime, and you serve in public office, how do you recieve a pension that taxpayers pay for?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

lealea1005

If she was found guilty of a felony, she would have been forced to give up her pension. In her plea deal, she was guilty of a misdemeanor which allows her to keep her pension.

Liarh8r90

I see. That just seems wrong...
A couple of members of the jury in her case were communicating thru Facebook. I would imagine that that would be frowned upon by the courts. Wouldn't that be reason enough for a mistrial? Could that possibly be the reason for her plea bargain? It was brought to the attention of Balto about 2 weeks after the trial. Up until that point it was widely thought that she would appeal...then all of the sudden she resigned. Possibly she knew she would be facing prison time?
So basically there is nothing anyone can do about the pension? Seems completely unfair to us, the taxpayers.
And all of the kids she stole from..She gives new meaning to crooked politician. What a witch. Now she gets to steal again. Wonderful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">