• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bancruptcy, and financial conservatorships

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

potusn2016

What is the name of your state? tennessee
my mother needs to file bancruptcy. my father is in a nursing home because of alzheimers. my mothers attorney said she needs to file for financial conservatorship over my fathers social security income before they can go forward with the bancruptcy. is this true or is social security off limits to creditors?

Ladynred

Social Security is EXEMPT from creditors. Here's the TN exemptions:

http://www.thebankruptcysite.com/exemptions/tennessee.htm

Your mother might only have to prove that the money in a bank account is from an exempt source.

I feel for you... my father passed away from Alzheimers in 1989. They were married 48 years, fortunately, my mother didn't lose her home when she had to put him in a nurshing home. I'm sorry your mother must go thru something like this.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">