• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bank account judgment.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kikire

What is the name of your state?:confused: What is the name of your state? My state is New York. My question is about a judgment against a bank account from a creditor. Can a creditor put a hold on your bank account if the funds that are in the account are from workers compersation???? I know that they can not touch your worker compensation checks because they are exempt correct?? Thanks for any help from anybody.
kikire

racer72

Once the money is in your bank account, it is fair game unless you notify the bank that the sourse of funds is exempt from garnishment. It is not up to the bank to determine where the funds in your account come from.

K

kikire

bank account judgment

So i should tell my friend to write the bank and tell them that the funds are exempt from garnishment. Should she write anybody else, like the place where the garnishment came from? Thanks for the info.

racer72

She doesn't need to write anyone. She needs to take her most recent statements to the bank in person.

K

kikire

bank account judgment

She went to the bank yesterday and they couldnt do anything for her. They said they need a release from the collection attorneys. What can be done if the collection attorneys are giving her a hard time about giving the bank the release?? The bank also knows where the money came from they said. They have a note on her account as to what checks she deposits there. If workers comp money is exempt from judgments then how can they legally do this??? Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:

Ladynred

She is going to have to contest they levy thru the courts. She needs to file a "motion to quash", and her reason would be the exemption of the worker's comp funds. Call the court clerk's office and have her ask if there is a form she can use, if not, she'll need to either get an attorney, or write one herself, but she needs the court to stop this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">