• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank Cashed Check With my Name on

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigtcattle

What is the name of your state?Alabama
A bank cahed a check with my name on it I did not endorse. The check reads Pay to: Bank, Joe Doe and Me. The John Doe endorsed it. the amount is over $17,000.00. i do not have an account at the bank, but John Doe does. The man I spoke to was Rude and would not give me any information..

Ladynred

Sorry, I'm confused. Are you saying this was a fraudulent check to start with, made out to the bank, John Doe AND you, and only John Doe signed it ?? Where did the check come from ? Was your name SUPPOSED to be on the check ?

If this is a fraud, treat it as such and file a police report. A check made out to more than one party USUALLY requires that it be ENDORSED by all parties in order to do anything with the check.

Who is this 'man' you spoke to that was rude - someone at John Doe's bank ??

bigtcattle

bigtcattle said:
What is the name of your state?Alabama
A bank cahed a check with my name on it I did not endorse. The check reads Pay to: Bank, Joe Doe and Me. The John Doe endorsed it. the amount is over $17,000.00. i do not have an account at the bank, but John Doe does. The man I spoke to was Rude and would not give me any information..
The check was for the sale of cattle owned by Joe Doe and me jointly, but Joe Doe has a note on his part, which I understand the payment was not due on yet. The check was made out to his bank, him, and me, not him or me. The man at his bank was his loan officer.

Ladynred

Aaahhhhh.. ok, so Joe Doe got ALL the money and you were supposed to get part of it.

Forget the loan officer, go over his head to the branch manager. If you can go there rather than calling, that would even be better, its harder to blow you off if you're standing there.

I'd have to look up the AL statutes to see if your signature was also required, but I believe it was.

bigtcattle

Alabama: I went to an attorney, a very old friend, he told me he represents that bank, but that I needed an attorney. He said no matter what the check was for it was a negotiable instrument with my name. He sent me to another attorney, but he could not help~~~~~we live in a very small town. I will have to go out of town.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">