• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank Credited Me Twice...Cannot Resolve

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mark1210

What is the name of your state? TX

I currently bank with Bank One and made a deposit on Tuesday in the amount of $1000.00. I made this deposit before the cut-off time of 12:00. This deposit failed to show on Wednesday as well as Thursday. I called the Bank and they made a dispute and issued my account a $1,000 credit. Today, I see that my deposit posted, it was 2 days late but it posted. So now I have an excess credit of $1000. I went to the local branch and they said they didn't know how to zero it out.

My concern is that if i just withdrawl it and give it to the bank they may later remove another $1000 out of my account in which they aren't entitled to. Is there some kind of law where they have X amount of days to correct their error? Should I just do nothing and wait?

Thanks!

djohnson

Do nothing and wait. Don't pull out the money, just enjoy looking at it for awhile. They will find it and correct it. If you pull it out and give it them then the people doing the research on the other won't know for several days and they could take it out again. Give it a month and if it's still in there go back and let them know again.

Veronica1228

djohnson said:
Do nothing and wait. Don't pull out the money, just enjoy looking at it for awhile. They will find it and correct it. If you pull it out and give it them then the people doing the research on the other won't know for several days and they could take it out again. Give it a month and if it's still in there go back and let them know again.

I agree. Most large banks, including the one that I work at, have a Research and Adjustments Department. When an issue like this comes up, they usually give customers a "provisional" credit. They then work cases in order of importance. In other words, because of the relatively small dollar amount, it could be months before they do the research on your case and discover that the provisional credit should be reversed.

However, the branch should be able to put in a request to reverse your credit. The fact that they don't know how is alarming. Try again with someone else if possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">