• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bank deposit error

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

poiduke

What is the name of your state?il
my daughter goes to school in munice,in she has a checking acct.in il.i am a
joint holder.last week 1/11 i made a deposit of her financial aid check.the check had not posted to the account.she called and asked why it had not.well today the asked for the deposit receipt which i faxed.it was deposited to my mates account!and needless to say she had already written and sent checks for books,rent,etc. i guess the teller chose by address rather than checking the names on the accounts.i am not on any of the accounts that my mates name appears on.i only hold an account with her.the bank seems to be unsure of what their responsiblity will be......what recourse will we have in regards to nsf fees and fees to the stores,landlords fees etc.the bank should pay all these right?
thank you

HomeGuru

poiduke said:
What is the name of your state?il
my daughter goes to school in munice,in she has a checking acct.in il.i am a
joint holder.last week 1/11 i made a deposit of her financial aid check.the check had not posted to the account.she called and asked why it had not.well today the asked for the deposit receipt which i faxed.it was deposited to my mates account!and needless to say she had already written and sent checks for books,rent,etc. i guess the teller chose by address rather than checking the names on the accounts.i am not on any of the accounts that my mates name appears on.i only hold an account with her.the bank seems to be unsure of what their responsiblity will be......what recourse will we have in regards to nsf fees and fees to the stores,landlords fees etc.the bank should pay all these right?
thank you
**A: did you write the correct account number on the check?

poiduke

bank error

unfortunely i did not not write in myself as i didn't have the number with me.i showed the teller my id and debit card.i write my daughters name on the slip as well as mine.
thanks hg

F

Fat Tony

a Is your name on your mates account as well? The account that took the deposit?

poiduke

bank error

no my name is only on my daughters account.i have no other accounts with this bank.i have banked elsewhere for 20 years.
thanks again

Veronica1228

I need to ask , are the funds now in the correct account? If not there are several things you can do here.

First of all, work with the branch manager on this, and not a teller supervisor or p.b. If you have been working with a branch manager and he/she is uncertain on how to help, go further up the ladder. Probably a District or Regional Manager. There is no reason that they should be unwilling to assist you.

Next, make sure that the deposited check has not been returned by the issuing bank. This could happen if they discover that the check was deposited into an account that has a different title than the payee of the check. If it seems to be okay, then point out to the branch the fact that it is basically fraud to do this. The payee of the check must have the same name (or at least 1 name if multiple payees) as the name on the account.

On that same note, I need to ask, who is the payee of this check? You said it was for your daughter who is out of the country. Did she endorse it or did you write "for deposit only" on the back of the check. It may not be important, but using either of these methods should help to emphasize my previous point. Please, please, please tell me you did not sign her name. This could seriously complicate your case.

If the funds are now in the correct account and all you need to do is have some fees reversed, ask your bank to write a letter to each of the parties that had a check returned to them because of this error. See if the payees of these checks will take this bank letter as proof that it was not your error. If they refuse, then have them give you proof of the fee they are charging you. Take it to your bank and go higher up the chain of command until someone agrees to cover these charges for their error.

Just a word of advise from a banker: I know you are probably really frustrated that this happened, but try to ask for all of this as professionally as possible. They will be more willing to help you if you are not yelling at them. Remember the old saying, "you can catch more flies with honey then vinegar." Corny, but true. :rolleyes:

poiduke

Thank You!

Veronica thanks for the info. We (daughter and I) heard from the branch manager and the corrections have been made.They are going to cover all fees that have hit the account and yes they also are providing a letter taking responsibility of the error.She further let us know that the teller will be further trained she indicated that this young man may have had other errors...
The b.m. also is sending my daughter a $50 Boaders Book gift certificate!
I am very pleased with the outcome.
I work in a customer service enviroment,I learned a long time ago that showing contempt for a situation will get you no where.
Thank you again for all the help.

Veronica1228

poiduke said:
Veronica thanks for the info. We (daughter and I) heard from the branch manager and the corrections have been made.They are going to cover all fees that have hit the account and yes they also are providing a letter taking responsibility of the error.She further let us know that the teller will be further trained she indicated that this young man may have had other errors...
The b.m. also is sending my daughter a $50 Boaders Book gift certificate!
I am very pleased with the outcome.
I work in a customer service enviroment,I learned a long time ago that showing contempt for a situation will get you no where.
Thank you again for all the help.

No problem. I'm glad I could help and that everything worked out for you. I agree completely with your statement. Putting someone on the defensive will never get you results, but putting them in the position of being a problem solver and "hero" works wonders! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">