• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank errors, am I liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ashabar

What is the name of your state? Texas

I am having a huge problem at my bank. I opened a small business checking account to accept payments for a friend for her business. I had some problems with a merchant account and decided to close the merchant account and this bank account because the merchant company was making withdrawals to my account that they shouldn't have been. The bank account was overdrawn but the lady at the bank told me if I paid it up to zero and closed the account the merchant company would not be able to bother me anymore. I did this, now a month later I find out that the account never got closed and is now $600 overdrawn! I was never contacted by the bank about this. They are saying I owe them for that $600 and then they will close the account.

This can't be right the account was supposed to have been closed at the beginning of Dec. and why wouldn't they have contacted me by now? Am I truly responsible for that money even though I was told the account was closed and I had left explicit instructions to not allow anymore withdrawals from that account without first contacting me?

Ladynred

Did you close the account in writing.. or only over the phone ?

What did the bank say when you asked why the account was not closed in December as you requested ???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">