• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bank fees and revealing account info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Frankyd1214

new york.

I brought my account to a zero balance so I could close the account on Friday 10-17-2008. I had arrived at 5:00 pm and the lady who closes the account was leaving . I withdrew my balance and left with a 0.00 balance. I had looked on line at my account and added any pending transactions, so I had an accurate amount, as well as confirmed with the bank teller my balance. On Monday my account was 140.00 in the negative for 4 insufficient fund fees. If you subtract the fees @ 35.000 a piece, you get 0.00. These fees are for the pending transactions. Now they state that I still owe them this money. Chase has a tendency to withdraw funds from my account in a manner that is not consistent with my transactions. If I swipe my card for a purchase @ 10:00 am, later @ 12:30 I will use my card again, Chase decides which transaction they want to post first. They have this (PENDING) approach to transaction that always works in their favor. Not to mention that they will post from the largest “daily” transaction to the smallest, hence you can get hit w/ multiple overdraft or insufficient fund fees, regardless of when and how you withdraw. Now my employer called the bank on my behalf; as our company uses Chase for their business, and the teller or associate at chase revealed to my employer that I has numerous previous fee reversals. Are they allowed to reveal any of my personal account information to my employer without authorization?

Frankyd1214

Well thank you Zinger for your legal insight. I am not sure if I could have moved forward on this with out your brilliance.
Any real legal advice out there please

Antigone*

new york.

I brought my account to a zero balance so I could close the account on Friday 10-17-2008. I had arrived at 5:00 pm and the lady who closes the account was leaving . I withdrew my balance and left with a 0.00 balance. I had looked on line at my account and added any pending transactions, so I had an accurate amount, as well as confirmed with the bank teller my balance. On Monday my account was 140.00 in the negative for 4 insufficient fund fees. If you subtract the fees @ 35.000 a piece, you get 0.00. These fees are for the pending transactions. Now they state that I still owe them this money.
Yes you owe them the money

Chase has a tendency to withdraw funds from my account in a manner that is not consistent with my transactions. If I swipe my card for a purchase @ 10:00 am, later @ 12:30 I will use my card again, Chase decides which transaction they want to post first. They have this (PENDING) approach to transaction that always works in their favor. Not to mention that they will post from the largest “daily” transaction to the smallest, hence you can get hit w/ multiple overdraft or insufficient fund fees, regardless of when and how you withdraw.
Chase, like many other banks pays their items from largest to smallest as they are presented for payment. If you don't like this manner of doing business interview another bank and take your relationship there. When you opened your account you were given a copy of your depository agreement and accepted the terms by which Chase chooses to do business.

Now my employer called the bank on my behalf; as our company uses Chase for their business, and the teller or associate at chase revealed to my employer that I has numerous previous fee reversals. Are they allowed to reveal any of my personal account information to my employer without authorization?
You went crying to your employer about your situation and asked him to intervene. As he has his business relationship with Chase you thought you could get a favorable resolution by using his contacts. When you gave your employer the permission to speak to Chase, they gave him the reasons why a reversal was not prudent. It is apparent that this is not your first time overdrawing your account. You wouldn't be upset about the whole thing if the banker had reversed the fees but that didnt' happen so now you're angry.

Talk about having it your way....(oh wait...that's another thread :rolleyes:).

Antigone*

Perhaps you need to learn to keep an accurate check register :rolleyes:
I used to preach this until I was blue in the face ;). Do you know how much make-up you have to apply to cover a blue face:confused:

Now I'm just happy to have the revenue stream flowing!!!

Last edited:

Frankyd1214

quick question.

Does the bank have permission to reveal any of my account information, without my permission, to anyone inquiring it

seniorjudge

Q: Does the bank have permission to reveal any of my account information, without my permission, to anyone inquiring it?

A: It depends. What is the situation you are asking about?

The bank did not reveal personal information to anyone, without your permission.

In this instance, YOU authorized your boss to call the bank to discuss your personal information - e.g., the status of the bank account in an attempt to get the fees reversed. In doing so, you were obviously comfortable with letting your bank discuss personal information with a specific individual.

the problem seems to be that you wanted the bank to only talk about SOME personal information with your boss if it was to your advantage - just not the uncomfortable stuff (e.g., your bank history).

However, you don't get to pick and choose - it was all or nothing.

stellarlady

Revealing the Infos

As far as I know, the bank would not reveal your account info to anyone unless you have told them! They are going to protect your account also because it involves money :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">