• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank FIDM

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky/Missouri/Texas

My ex is over 24k in arrears. I spoke with my child support case worker here in Kentucky in December she had mentioned they had started searching for bank accounts to levy. When I spoke with her yesterday she said that they had found an account of his but had not submitted a levy because she had heard that the bank doesn't usually honor child support levies. I tried calling the bank, I bank with them as well, and no one had any idea what I was talking about.

Can banks ignore levy orders?
Does anyone know what department I should ask for to see if they do?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I believe that you misunderstood what the worker told you. I suspect that the problem is that your order is an out of state order. Reach out to your worker for clarification.

ETA: You may wish to speak with the caseworker's supervisor, if necessary.

Update

Looks like they finally found an account of my ex's or they got his tax return because there was a payment of just under five thousand posted to the child support account. They also adjusted the amount due to include interest on the arrears, so the amount past due only went down by three thousand.

Just Blue

Looks like they finally found an account of my ex's or they got his tax return because there was a payment of just under five thousand posted to the child support account. They also adjusted the amount due to include interest on the arrears, so the amount past due only went down by three thousand.
But it's something...:cool:

Case review got a continuance

I am so done with this whole thing. They took my ex's tax return, his wife can file the standard injured spouse so it sits in limbo. Ex has not paid a dime in 3 months, now owes over 30k. 25 if you take into account the tax return that was seized. I spoke with ex's state and they scheduled a case review after 6 months of nothing. Ex's attorney got a continuance for another 2 months. Why do courts allow these to go on and on? My ex has the income to pay the child support, he just knows that they cannot garnish the main source of his income.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">