• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank Levy for Past Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Andy Bee

California
Within the past few Months I had My Bank accounts Levied due to Back Child Support which I do not think I owe. Back in 2016 My Ex-wife and I came to an agreement that She would close the Child Support case in Exchange for the good of the Children sign over our home in which I now feel I made a big mistake doing. I would help her as much as I could then she got me into a Bankruptcy because she couldn't keep up on payments household, Mortgage etc again I fell for it, to make a long story short after I presented her with Divorce papers last year she went ahead and reopened up the case in which I now owe over 36,000 dollars. I am current on My child support which caught Me by surprise, and Now have Levies on my account have had numerous attorneys in which I now can not afford and nothing has been done. Is it possible to by a home with this Levy on my accounts
sign
What to do, What to do

Last edited:

justalayman

Well, since the levy can reduce your effective income, I suspect it could cause a problem regarding amount you would qualify for. It also shows a delinquent debt you owe. Those issues may cause a problem or at least affect the amount you qualify for.

If the child support order was not amended when all this wheeling and dealing was going on, You shouldn’t have been surprised. A court order for child support continues to demand payment unless it is amended or terminated.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm guessing OP's "agreements" never went through the courts, and/or there was some sort of state aid in play.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
California
Within the past few Months I had My Bank accounts Levied due to Back Child Support which I do not think I owe. Back in 2016 My Ex-wife and I came to an agreement that She would close the Child Support case in Exchange for the good of the Children sign over our home in which I now feel I made a big mistake doing. I would help her as much as I could then she got me into a Bankruptcy because she couldn't keep up on payments household, Mortgage etc again I fell for it, to make a long story short after I presented her with Divorce papers last year she went ahead and reopened up the case in which I now owe over 36,000 dollars. I am current on My child support which caught Me by surprise, and Now have Levies on my account have had numerous attorneys in which I now can not afford and nothing has been done. Is it possible to by a home with this Levy on my accounts
sign
What to do, What to do
Well, for starters, until you have a divorce decree, realize and accept that she is not an ex.

So, you signed over the house. What do you mean by that? Did you make the usual mistake of signing a quitclaim deed, without getting the mortgage refinanced in her name solely?

Since she cannot consistently pay for the house and household expenses, part of the divorce agreement needs to be that the house gets sold. And yes, that's in the children's best interests. It's in no one's best interests to have the household stress of being in a house one cannot afford.

Rent until the divorce is finalized.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">