• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank loan and divorce.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dalek

What is the name of your state? MS

I have asked a question before here about my divorce. So here I am again with a new one. This is what happened. I went to the bank and got a loan for $2000.00 and used it to pay two house payments and two car payments. Both those were hers before we got married and will be afterwards I hope. Her Dad put up collateral for the loan. She wants me to pay half the loan. I say since she is keeping the property that she should pay it and me not claim anything on the property at all in the divorce.

Also, on the bank papers, it plainly says it is to be paid with her income tax refund. I don't even draw enough to file myself. That was also our agreement when I went to get the loan.

We were only married three months when I left. This is our sticking point for a no fault divorce. I am disabled and my only income is a disability check from Social Security. There is no way I can come up with half or even a quarter of this before the note is due. It is a single pay note due in April. In case it matters, I am well below the poverty level. I also don't own anything except for one car that is 12 years old. I'm not to worried about my credit rating either.

Question is this, if I leave it out of the papers and when the note comes due tell them I can't pay, can the bank do anything to my check?

Thanks for you advice.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

dalek

OK. I got my divorce papers signed and all. I made sure that the bank note went to her. I didn't want to start a new thread but I have a new question now.

I have been told that she said she was not going to pay the loan. It is in my name and I have talked to the bank about it. If she doesn't pay the loan, what do I have to do? Do I go tell the Judge that she has not paid it and he takes care of it? Do I need to file some sort of papers to do that IF that is what I have to do.

Looking for a little guidance here.

Thanks

:D :D :D :D :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">