• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank overdraft fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jgines57

I had someone called me today, telling me it's a possible civil case against for me for old bank account back in 2010/2011 that had overdraft fees. I live in Texas and I know the Statue of Limitations for a debet is (4) years. I never received any paperwork from the bank or any court house in texas. I only got a phone from this telling I had to pay $1,093.78 or will be heading to judge on Nov 14th. I just way to many red flags, something doesn't seem. I just feel they are just another collection agencies. Please advise

quincy

I had someone called me today, telling me it's a possible civil case against for me for old bank account back in 2010/2011 that had overdraft fees. I live in Texas and I know the Statue of Limitations for a debet is (4) years. I never received any paperwork from the bank or any court house in texas. I only got a phone from this telling I had to pay $1,093.78 or will be heading to judge on Nov 14th. I just way to many red flags, something doesn't seem. I just feel they are just another collection agencies. Please advise
Who called you?

quincy

She told her name was J.F. (not sure about the spelling of the last name) and she was process service and someone will subpoena by Wednesday at job or home
I didn't really need the name (thanks for your edit :)). I wanted to know who the person represented.

So, someone who said they were a process server said you will be served with something on Wednesday regarding an old bank debt.

It is possible you could be served with a summons and complaint, indicating that you are being sued. If so, you will need to respond to the complaint. The statute of limitations could be a defense if it applies.

It is also possible that you received a call from a debt collection agency trying to get you to pay what they say you owe.

And it is possible that you received a call from someone trying to scam you.

I suggest you wait to see what happens. Do not take any additional calls from the person and do not provide the person with personal information and do not pay anything.

If served with a summons and complaint, you can seek legal assistance at that time.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">