• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank seized by FDIC/Vacation Pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Vancouver22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

My bank (that I work at) was seized about three weeks ago by the FDIC. We we then purchased by another bank. I had taken the first week of January as a vacation to visit family. Obviously, not all of this vacation time had been earned yet.

My problem/question is that my former employer is now requiring me to pay back the vacation time. Is this legal? I could understand if I quit or got fired/laid off, but the business closed. It no longer exists. Seems to me like this would not qualify as there is absolutly nothing in my power that I could have done to change the situation.

Any ideas?

Betty

It was your decision to take vacation before it was earned. If you had not as yet earned the vacation, yes, the employer can require you to pay back the salary you received for these unearned vacation days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">