• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank wont send car title after payoff, charged off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tlm

While stationed in Heidelberg Germany in 1995, I purchased a new car with a loan from our military banking facility, a subsidiary of Nations Bank.

After 5 years of faithful payments, and yes, a few (11) were less than 10 days late due to the fact that the payments went through the APO mail system, still my fault. ONE payment, mailed during the peak APO Christmas rush, was over 30 days late. This was in Dec 97. I finally spoke with the Heidelberg branch, and found in June 0f 98 a stateside branch in Texas that would solve the mail problems. All payments till Jan 0f 00 started going throught that branch.

In Sept of 99, I knew that bal had to be getting lower, so I called the 1-800 # for Texas and got the loan total. Figured it out to be a last payment due in Jan. The first week in Jan 00 I called and got the automated total due on my acct. Wrote this down, and then when I was ready to make my payment the next week, I called and verbally spoke with the loan dept, and told her it was my last payment. She aggreed, gave me the $ amount, and told me that when they received my last paymnt she would email Germany and ask them to start the title process. I typed up a little note and sent it with my check stating the same.

Feb/March came and went, no correspondence what so ever from the bank. Mid April I called the Texas branch, and after being passed to three people, was told that my loan was charged off due to NON PAYMENT, and that the total due on my account was $91.00. I WAS FLOORED!!!!!!!! and as the German branch was closed, I could do nothing till the next day. I then called, and got the loan supervisor for all Germany braches the next day. He told me that the $91.00 was accumulated late fees and since they were not paid, it was charged off.

No one can tell me why I was not told of this amt when I called to get my final payoff, and when I spoke with the branch mngr on the 14th, for over 1 hr, explainging to her all the details, she said she would investigate and return my call the 17th. Never has, and when I call there, no one is in now.

I ordered a new credit report, but as I was just denied a car loan, I am pretty sure this had gone on it. I am furious that no one told me of the bal due, as after 5 years of mo pymnts, I am sure I would have agreed to pay this minimal amt to clear it up. DO I have any legal grounds? I still have not recieved my title, and I have to get new plated soon! I need my title. I have been told by two people that maybe my title was sold with the bal due to a repo company, and that I may come out side one moring to find my car gone!!!!! HELP!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">