• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bankrupcy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wfd36

What is the name of your state? Maryland
I am 67 and live on 2 small retirements (188.00)mo, plus my Social Security. I have contacted Legal Aid and was told to file bankrupcy on my own which would cost me 250.00 for filing fees. I was told that my income would exempt from collectors, so then do I even have to file? I have given up my home, but I also have medical bills and credit card bills. I can just meet monthly expences. I have had a heart attack and I am unable to work. I was told to send C/D letters to all creditors. Will this stop the harrassing phone calls and can they take any of my monthly income?

A

anadude

if your income is exempt, then they can't get it.

you can send all the c&d letters you want, your creditors can still mess with you within the law (read the fair debt collection act), because you owe them money.

Ladynred

As anadude stated, your income is exempt, creditor's can't touch it if they sue.

Even though your income is untouchable and you have no real estate (big assets), bankruptcy may still be a good idea. The creditors are going to try to make your life miserable - one or more may even sue you - and that can be pretty stressful - and that's something you don't need if you have a heart condition.

Filing for bankruptcy would cut them off at the knees and give YOU some peace of mind that you won't have to go thru lawsuits or listen to an endless stream of bad-mouthed collection agency drones.

You can file for BK pro se, but its not EASY by any means. Can't legal aid help you at least prepare the paperwork ? There's a lot of paperwork to deal with pro se. The only court appearance you'd have to make would be the 341 meeting.. and lawyers don't get to say much there anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">