• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bankruptcy and co-signed loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rascalkc

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

My mom co-signed a personal loan for me last year. I have too much unsecured debt, and am looking into bankruptcy. I don't want to discharge this loan, or even let my mom know that I'm declaring bankruptcy. Is that possible? Can I keep the loan and keep making payments without it being affected by a filing?

adjusterjack

You have to list ALL of your debts on your bankruptcy filing. Once the personal loan is discharged it will be public record and may be shown on her credit report as discharged with regards to you and the lender will certainly go after her for the money. You might be able to re-affirm the loan with the permission of the bankruptcy court. But there is probably no way that you can keep this from her for very long.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's a terrible idea to keep this information from your mom and not give her the chance to protect herself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">