• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bankruptcy and living trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dmiller91

What is the name of your state? WI

Hello, I declared bankruptcy in TN one year ago... actual I got the court order one year ago.

I did not declare a debt I owed to a living trust my dad had set up, because a) I did not want to tell my dad and b) I did not want to get out of the debt.

Now I had to tell him because I still cannot afford to pay it back.

He says I commited perjury by not stating the debt.

Is this true? Is this trust in jeopardy from the IRS? I have agreed to 6% interest, which keeps accruing. Is there any way to rewrite the trust right now, paying back the debt plus interest and ending the interest accrual?

Help!
Diane

S

skwirl

Some father....anyway... People "forget" to list debts all the time. Granted, what you did wasn't exactly ethical but then again, who has been a saint all their life? I guess there is a fine line....if someone tries, tell them to PROVE that you didn't just forget that you owed it! Besides, who's best interest was it in that you didn't list it? If you had listed it you wouldn't owe the debt anymore... but you do still owe it because of the purposeful omission. You will probably get an exact legal answer from some of the legal beagles on this forum but I just wanted to put in my two cents.
Dorene? Halkert? You guys have an answer for her?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">