• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bankruptcy help retainers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nikkineedshelp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I gave an attorney a retainer to file a motion of abandonment for some money and a house. He filed the wrong motions, wrong evidence and did not show up to the hearing. Aren't I entitled to me retainer back? Since everything was lost due to these mistakes, do I have a legal malpractice case?

If you have a fee dispute with the attny contact the California State Bar to see if it has a "fee dispute resolution program". As to malpractice, no way for anyone to guess since we do not know ANY details of your case.

Des.

nikkineedshelp

Answers

If you have a fee dispute with the attny contact the California State Bar to see if it has a "fee dispute resolution program". As to malpractice, no way for anyone to guess since we do not know ANY details of your case.

Des.
Des,

The attorney filed the wrong motions and supplied the wrong evidence for the saving of some money that was not hers and my mother's house. Because he filed the wrong motions and evidence, the judge laughed at him and denied the crazy motions. He did not show up to fight the decision or answer to why he filed the wrong motions or provided the wrong evidence. Because of this, my mother lost the large sum of money and her house. Now he says he will not give the money back. He admits he should have filed a different motion, but he did everything right otherwise. Instead of providing an appraisal of the house he did a Brokers Price Opinion. The judge laughed at that also. He charged me for that service and the judge said that was not what he should have done. At the end of the hearing, I sat there crying that my mother just lost everything and now what do I do. The judge told me I needed to find a good attorney. I asked for the retainer back since he did not do his job and he said he would not give it back. Now there is a real estate agent that has been hired to sell my mother's house. Not sure what to do next.

Nikki

The attorney filed the wrong motions. . . . Instead of providing an appraisal of the house he did a Brokers Price Opinion. . . The judge told me I needed to find a good attorney. Now there is a real estate agent that has been hired to sell my mother's house. Not sure what to do next.
So, let me guess. . .

Your mom filed a Chapter 7 knowing that there might be sufficient equity in the home, over the allowed homestead. The attorney filed a Motion to Abandon the home from the bk estate and used a BPO as evidence that the property was of inconsequential value and burdensome to the estate. The Trustee argued otherwise and the judge agreed. Am I close?

Assuming this is what is going on, what about negotiating with the Trustee to hold off on any sale. Ask the Trustee to issue a claims bar date. Once that date passes, agree to pay all timely filed claims and the Trustee's legal fees (edt. to add -or the amount of the non-exempt value, whichever is less). Assuming this amount is manageable, based upon the equity in the home, have mom, with the Trustee's approval, refinance or get a 2nd mortgage to pay the amount due to the Trustee. But only use the home as collateral if she cannot raise the funds from some other source.

If the current attny is not sufficiently versed in how the local trustees handle matters then shop around to see if this or any other suggestion is viable in your mom's area. I can tell you that we have taken over cases for this very purpose and, in each, have worked it out so that the debtor does not loses the home.

Des.

Last edited:

nikkineedshelp

Hello

My mother filed chapter 7 and the attorney did not give her any options. He told her nothing. HR said the house would be safe.

HelloMy mother filed chapter 7 and the attorney did not give her any options. He told her nothing. HR said the house would be safe.
So its now over one month later so what is the status? Did she find a new attny? Did she try to negotiate with the Trustee? Or, did she do nothing and let the house be sold? And. . . who is "HR"?

Des.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">