• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bankruptcy in california

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrkent

california:

hi, i am being sued by someone right now. I am a college student with no money on financial aid. assuming if he wins, and obviously i cant pay the dept, will there be a lien on me if i file bankruptcy? please explain how a lien works and how i can get around it. thanks.

JETX

hi, i am being sued by someone right now. I am a college student with no money on financial aid. assuming if he wins, and obviously i cant pay the dept, will there be a lien on me if i file bankruptcy? please explain how a lien works and how i can get around it. thanks.
Sorry, but RESPONSIBLE forum members will not help you to avoid a valid debt or obligation.

bigun

I don't see what's wrong with answering a question about bk.
Assuming the debt is the sort that can be discharged, a bk filing will make the debt uncollectable .
A lein is typically placed against real estate or some other property of value -aassumimg your state law provides for a lein as part of the collection process.
Now, you need to look at the totality of your circumstances to decide if bk is a viable option. If it's just one debt for a few grand, bk is not worth it. Yoiu're better off trying to ork something out with the creditor.

mrkent

yes, im trying to avoid possible debts of a injust and frivolous law suit. is there a website i can fine more about this? specifically what a lien is and what allows for it and etc?

JETX

im trying to avoid possible debts of a injust and frivolous law suit.
Curious... how do you feel that a lawsuit, argued in a court where you have the chance to present your defense... is somehow "injust and frivolous"??
Clearly, your OPINION is contradicted by the facts.

mrkent

1. the law suit barly started.
2. the judicial system is perfect? cases can't be filed maliciously?

wayne-o

no our judicial system is not perfect....but its probably better than any other in the world. However the good thing about it is that you can go defend yourself against this "malicious lawsuit" and since it is obviously without merit. It will be thrown out.

bigun

Google is your friend.

Honestly, since you have no assets, your only concerns are judgment that will very likely have to be satisfied if you ever need financing to buy a house and, the probablity that you'll get your wages garnished.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">