• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

BANKRUPTCY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ETHEL

I LIVE IN TEXAS.MY HUSBAND AND I FILED BANKRUPTCY IN 1996.THEY TAKE THE DEDUCTION OUT OF HIS PAYCHECK.WE HAVE BEEN SEPARATED 2 YEARS.I WANT TO KNOW IF THE MAN I LIVE WITH CAN CLAIM ME ON HIS TAXES.HE HAS BEEN SUPPORTING ME ALL YEAR.OR DO I HAVE TO FILE JOINTLY WITH MY HUSBAND EVEN THOUGH HE HAS NOT CONTRIBUTED ANYTHING TO MY SUPPORT.WE ARE WAITING FOR A COURT DATE TO GET PERMISSION TO GET DIVORCED.

L

loku

Dependency exemption

You do not have to file jointly with your husband. Here are the requirements for the dependency deduction:

The following five tests must be met for you to claim an exemption for a dependent.
1. Member of Household or Relationship Test.
2. Citizen or Resident Test.
3. Joint Return Test.
4. Gross Income Test.
5. Support Test.

From what you say, you qualify under 2 -- 5 as long as you do not file a joint return with your husband. And since you lived with the man the entire year you qualify under 1 unless living together as you do violates Texas law. Therefore, if your relationship is legal under Texas law, you qualify as his dependent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">