• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Strobehn

I live in Oregon. I let a vehicle go back 7-8 years ago after my husband passed away, as I could no longer afford the payments. My question is, could the IRS come after me years later and make me pay a tax on that vehicle, after it was auctioned off?

Strobehn

I live in Oregon. I let a vehicle go back 7-8 years ago after my husband passed away, as I could no longer afford the payments. My question is, could the IRS come after me years later and make me pay a tax on that vehicle, after it was auctioned off?

adjusterjack

What tax? I can't imagine the IRS having anything to do with it. Have you gotten a notice from the IRS about anything?

LdiJ

If the creditor issues a 1099C and you cannot have the 1099C excluded or partially excluded due to insolvency (debts greater than assets at the time you stopped paying the loan) then yes, you would have to pay tax on the amount of the loan that was cancelled (whatever was left after the car was auctioned off).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">