• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bariatric surgery and life insurance premiums

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qurice

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I'm not sure if this is a legal question, but I'll ask anyway.

My wife has life insurance policy on herself. I believe it's a whole universal (?) policy, she bought it before we met, about 10 years.

Earlier this year she had gastric banding for weight loss. Her surgery was in April, and
she has lost almost 50 lbs so far. Blood pressure has also improved, and her c-pap machine (for sleep apnea) needs to be adjusted because she no longer needs as much airflow at night.

We were wondering if her premium should go down since she is dropping weight, as well as the health risks associated with being so heavy.

Thanks! :cool:

Last edited:

ErinGoBragh

It's quite possible that it could, and you should certainly try! Call your life insurance agent and ask about doing an application for a rating reduction on the UL.

xylene

Indeed it might, however the fact that your wife has had banding surgery and that her health status has improved will not legally COMPEL the insurer to lower premiums.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Most insurers want to see that the weight remains off for a period of time before adjusting anything. Sometimes it is as much as five years. Balance that against the increase she may see due to her increase in age and she may break even depending.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">