• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Barking dog/landlord responsibilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jbbrick

San Francisco area, I have a rental house and the tenants have a dog that reportedly barks and disturbs the neighbor. The neighbor called me after getting no help from police or humane society, threatening legal action. Question: Am I responsible for this problem? The local police told me it's a matter between the neighbor, the tenants, and the local authorities, not my problem. It's not like I'm running a crack house! The tenants are good otherwise, and I have spoken to them to try and correct this problem. Thanks for any help.

L

LL

Are you operating a public (or private) nuisance?

I would get rid of the tenants with the dogs, and get new tenants with no dogs allowed. Its not worth the risk.

Your loyalty to your tenants over any ties to your neighbors will not really serve you well in the long run. You are disturbing the neighbors and they can actually force YOU to leave the neighborhood.

HomeGuru

It is your problem. Due to the fact that you as the property owner has the responsibilty to insure that your neighbor has the right of quiet enjoyment of the neighborhood. If your tenant infringes on the rights of the neighbor, you can be held liable as the legal property owner.

Like my attorney friend Johnny C. would say; if the bark don't fit, you must evict.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">