• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

basic questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lovleymel

What is the name of your state? connecticut. I have a few questions before i decide to embark on this bk journey. I've finally made my decision to file, but I've heard conflicting info about filing. I spoke to credit counselor with whom I thought would give me advice to pay offr my debts instead he told me that many creditors look at bk more favorably than they do going with credit counselors, because supposedly the view bk as more as taking responsability for the situation instead of having counselors pay you bills for you. Now the main reason I want to file is to get rid of debts as far as 3 years ago that have and will continue to accumulate, it seems that it is too far gone to begin to go through the changes. But I plan on purchasing a home in 3 years and with any luck getting out of a car loan that I owe way more than what is is worth. So is it safe to say that it won't be impossible to purchase a car with the bk under my belt?

S

skwirl

If your plans are three years in the future you have an excellent opportunity in front of you. Once you declare bankruptcy and wipe out your debts getting a car will be no problem, just high interest at first. but then there are places where you can refinance your car loan after a few months of showing you are responsible, thus getting a lower interest rate. As for buying a home???? Show three or four good trade lines(vehicle, credit cards, etc) on your credit report in 18-24 months after your bankruptcy and you will more than likely be able to qualify for a mortgage at about the same rate as someone with good credit. The mistake most people make is trying to jump right back in after filing. It just takes time, and if you have a three year timeline, you have plenty of time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">