• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Battling on the house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

secrecyguy2

What is the name of your state? California

I don't want to get into too much details just in case someone know them and show them this post.

My mom owns a house in California. When my mom dies, most likely my brother will take over it and most likely going to sell it so the value of the house will be shared.

I don't get along with my brother that well BUT he will always be fair with me.

The problem is, his wife. She might influence or convince him to take more of the share and sell the house for low and give me very little or none at all.

She is grew up and rich most of her life. For me, I live a poor life.

So I want to be prepared just in case. I don't have that much money and I want to find a lawyer or someone who can help me just in case. I hope it does not come to this because I don't want to sue my brother. I hope I just worry about nothing.

Thanks for any help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This is a simple one...ask your mom to write a will that totally excludes you. That way, you don't have to give another thought to what you might get when she moves on to the next realm.

LdiJ

This is a simple one...ask your mom to write a will that totally excludes you. That way, you don't have to give another thought to what you might get when she moves on to the next realm.
I am sorry but that was unnecessarily mean. Particularly when you are responding to someone who seems somewhat naive.

quincy

What is the name of your state? California

I don't want to get into too much details just in case someone know them and show them this post.

My mom owns a house in California. When my mom dies, most likely my brother will take over it and most likely going to sell it so the value of the house will be shared.

I don't get along with my brother that well BUT he will always be fair with me.

The problem is, his wife. She might influence or convince him to take more of the share and sell the house for low and give me very little or none at all.

She is grew up and rich most of her life. For me, I live a poor life.

So I want to be prepared just in case. I don't have that much money and I want to find a lawyer or someone who can help me just in case. I hope it does not come to this because I don't want to sue my brother. I hope I just worry about nothing.

Thanks for any help.
Has your mother talked to you about the house and what she intends to do with it when she dies? Do you expect that your mother will leave everything she owns equally to you and your brother? Is your mother currently in bad health?

You really can’t control what your brother’s wife does or doesn’t do.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am sorry but that was unnecessarily mean. Particularly when you are responding to someone who seems somewhat naive.
I'm sorry you feel that way. What I find unnecessary is someone maneuvering for post-mortem control of his mom's house while mom's still alive and kicking.

Your brother can only take control of the house if he inherits a controlling share of the house. Does your mom have a will that leaves him a controlling share? Does she have a will at all?

quincy

secrecyguy2 may be left nothing. Mom is (apparently still) alive. She may decide to leave everything she owns to her cat.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">