• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

BBQ Grill refusing to honor my warranty because I purchased online vs physical store.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VideoPad

What is the name of your state? FL

BBQ Grill manufacturer refusing to honor my warranty because I purchased online vs physical store.

The warranty page included with the BBQ has no mention of online vs retail. It simple includes time limitation, type of damage limitations,etc...

Nothing about location of sale. My warranty claim deals with a part physically breaking off the grill within the 1 year limit.

There is no dispute over the part breaking and time period being in warranty issue however the problem is they are upset it was purchased online vs a physical location. Grill was purchased brand new factory sealed.

Companies in 2019 still mad about online sales? Apparently this is still a thing. Can warranty be voided because purchased online vs physical store? If so, should this information have been provided in the warranty page that came with the grill? This is the first time I am hearing this prohibition against online from this company since its not in any of their printed materials.

WARRANTY INFORMATION A COPY OF THE DATED PROOF OF PURCHASE (RECEIPT) IS REQUIRED WHEN REGISTERING OR SUBMITTING A WARRANTY* CLAIM. PLEASE RETAIN A COPY OF THE RECEIPT FOR YOUR RECORDS._________ will replace any defective part of its grillers/smokers, under warranty, as outlined below. PLEASE READ THIS INFORMATION IN DETAIL AND IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS CONTACT CUSTOMER SERVICE AT________ SURFACE RUST IS NOT CONSIDERED A MANUFACTURING OR MATERIALS DEFECT _________ are made of steel and if exposed to the elements rust will occur naturally. Please refer to the section entitled, “Usage” to review how to care for your grill properly. Surface issues such as scratches, dents, corrosion or discoloring by heat, abrasive and chemical clearers, surface rust or the discoloration of steel surfaces are NOT covered under these warranties. Warranties are for the replacement of defective parts only. _________ is not responsible for damage resulting from accident, alteration, misuse, abuse, hostile environments, improper installation, and installation not in accordance with local codes of service of unit. Excluded Under ALL Warranties Paint; Surface Rust; Heat Damage; Incorrect Parts ordered by customer, including shipping; Worn Parts; Missing or damaged parts not reported within two (2) months of purchase date; Defective parts not reported within one (1) year of purchase date; Fading grill cover. *NOTE: For warranty claims, photos and prepaid return of the item in question may be required. Misuse, abuse or commercial use nullifies all warranties

LdiJ

What US state?

Do you have a receipt issued by the manufacturer?
Did you mean manufacturer?...or are you being cryptic? Sorry but I am confused. Since manufacturers almost never sell directly to the public no one would normally have a receipt from a manufacturer, so I don't know if you made a typo or are being cryptic.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Did you mean manufacturer?...or are you being cryptic? Sorry but I am confused. Since manufacturers almost never sell directly to the public no one would normally have a receipt from a manufacturer, so I don't know if you made a typo or are being cryptic.
I did mean what I wrote, but your point is well taken.

PayrollHRGuy

From whom did you by the grill online? Do you have a receipt?

If it is an unauthorized seller that could be a problem.

VideoPad

They mean if you purchase from Home depot, Lowes, Sears, ACE hardware, Walmart then you are good to go however If you purchase online such as Ebay or maybe Amazon then they will void your warranty however warranty page does not put these conditions in the warranty.

Its almost like they made it up on the spot to deny a warranty claim.

I did put a empty space __________ to block out the company's name in case they are reading this forum and see that people are conducting research against them. The empty blank is just the company's name removed from the post.

PayrollHRGuy

They mean if you purchase from Home depot, Lowes, Sears, ACE hardware, Walmart then you are good to go however If you purchase online such as Ebay or maybe Amazon then they will void your warranty however warranty page does not put these conditions in the warranty.

Its almost like they made it up on the spot to deny a warranty claim.

I did put a empty space __________ to block out the company's name in case they are reading this forum and see that people are conducting research against them. The empty blank is just the company's name removed from the post.
This has been asked once. Where did you purchase the grill?

VideoPad

What US state?

Do you have a receipt issued by the manufacturer?
Florida, I do not believe the manufacturer sells directly to the consumer.

I know the product is for sale at Home depot, Lowes, Sears, Walmart, Ace hardware and those type of stores. Also, online Ebay, Amazon.com, etc....

Warranty page that came with the grill and that is online has no indication that certain stores purchase apparently void the warranty.
Rather it said stuff like surface rust is not covered, time limitation on certain parts,etc...

Seem to me like they made up this limitation on the spot and it was not disclosed on the warranty information provided with the product.

VideoPad

From whom did you by the grill online? Do you have a receipt?

If it is an unauthorized seller that could be a problem.
The warranty page has no written statement of which companies are authorized vs unauthorized to sell the product.

Is the purchaser suppose to be a mind reader or randomly guess?

The item was purchase brand new factory sealed. The warranty page has no information to address any of this.

VideoPad

It doesn't matter that it was for sale at other places. Where did you purchase it?
It was a Christmas gift originally purchased online at Amazon. Appearently manufacturer is having issues with fact its an online sales vs physical store sales such as home depot, Lowes, Walmart, Ace,etc.. This information is not disclosed in their warranty page that came with the grill.

quincy

Was the purchase made through an authorized dealer or private party? Is this grill authentic (e.g., not a counterfeit)? Is the grill on a recall list?

Last edited:

VideoPad

Was the purchase made through an authorized dealer or private party? Is this grill authentic (e.g., not a counterfeit)? Is the grill on a recall list?
The Grill is 100% real authentic ( not counterfeit), brand new factory sealed. I have no knowledge of a recall list for the grill.

The manufacturer company does not tell you who is authorized vs unauthorized nor does it make a distinction between online and physical stores on the warranty page. The first I learned of any issue is when I tried to submit a warranty claim.

I could not find any information about case laws regarding warranties except for a lawyer with a youtube channel who said that Car manufacturers can't mandate that you use factory authorized dealers for car service or void the warranty. Consumers are allowed to use 3rd party car service and repair places and in order to void the warranty the manufacturer would have to prove that a repair or service was done wrong to cause the problem. Just the act of using them does not automatic void a car warranty. However, if they are performing a repair under warranty, they can demand you use the authorized car dealer.

This is not done by choice but rather they are compelled by law/regulations to allow for the 3rd party repair. If they had their way, you would be required to use the dealership for all service/repair.

My point is that they provide a warranty page in the grill and that warranty page is also available in the owner manual for the grill online and it does not provided these conditions about physical authorized vs online authorized anywhere on the page or online.

The first I am hearing about is when I tried to do an actual warranty claim. If its not in writing, how do I know they did not just make it up on the spot to avoid the cost of a replacement part?

PayrollHRGuy

Just because the item was sealed in a box doesn't mean it came from the factory that way and the maker is free to require proof of purchase.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">