• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beaten and Tased by Police but Not Arrested

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CdwJava

He was a private security guard it turns out, contracted by the city who gave him a police vest. I have many witnesses of the incident who can attest to brutality. Excessive force is a thing regardless if a crime was committed or not (which there wasn't).
I'm curious why and how the city would give a security guard a vest that says "Police" on it?! That's simply plain stupid. I'd be more inclined to believe that the security guard got the vest himself.

Where were you that a security guard contracted by the city - at a private venue - would be interacting with you?

If the police are investigating, are they pursuing the matter as a battery against you?

bluetiger82

I'm curious why and how the city would give a security guard a vest that says "Police" on it?! That's simply plain stupid. I'd be more inclined to believe that the security guard got the vest himself.

Where were you that a security guard contracted by the city - at a private venue - would be interacting with you?

If the police are investigating, are they pursuing the matter as a battery against you?
I was baffled when the detective told me that. I was in the parking lot (it is a MASSIVE parking lot with 10 individual lots in it). He was directing traffic out. The detective asked me for photos of my injuries. I don't know what they are doing. But after being lied to in the station that they don't have complaint forms, I don't trust them.

quincy

I was baffled when the detective told me that. I was in the parking lot (it is a MASSIVE parking lot with 10 individual lots in it). He was directing traffic out. The detective asked me for photos of my injuries. I don't know what they are doing. But after being lied to in the station that they don't have complaint forms, I don't trust them.
My advice is that you trust no one but your attorney.

Edit to add: You would think Commerce City would know better now, after paying out $175,000 to settle a (suspiciously) similar case last year.*

https://www.criminallegalnews.org/news/2019/feb/14/175000-settlement-public-protester-profanity-laced-sign-tased-police-officer/
*thanks to Army Judge for his research

Last edited:

CdwJava

So
The vest was a reflective vest? THAT might make sense since it is not uncommon for cities to contract for additional traffic and/or crowd control at venues that are either publicly owned or spill out onto a public roadway.

Curious that they could not provide a personnel complaint form or alternative document. But, it wouldn't be the first time an agency played fast and loose with complaint forms. Though, from what you say now, it appears that the person is not an employee or subject to the complaint process. A criminal complaint, maybe (and it seems they are looking into that angle if they have a detective assigned).

quincy

So

The vest was a reflective vest? THAT might make sense since it is not uncommon for cities to contract for additional traffic and/or crowd control at venues that are either publicly owned or spill out onto a public roadway.

Curious that they could not provide a personnel complaint form or alternative document. But, it wouldn't be the first time an agency played fast and loose with complaint forms. Though, from what you say now, it appears that the person is not an employee or subject to the complaint process. A criminal complaint, maybe (and it seems they are looking into that angle if they have a detective assigned).
Be a wee bit suspicious here, CdwJava. Commerce City just settled a lawsuit over a free-speech-taser incident. Read the story linked to above.

CdwJava

Be a wee bit suspicious here, CdwJava. Commerce City just settled a lawsuit over a free-speech-taser incident. Read the story linked to above.
I read it. But, I also read the OP's story where he states the subject involved was not a police officer but a contracted "security" officer. In similar situations out here, these people are hired for crowd control and traffic and sometimes where police department supplied reflective vests (it's the law and an insurance requirement). Unfortunately, these sometimes lead to the misfortunate attribution that the person wearing it is a cop - as the OP seems to have affirmed was the case.

quincy

I read it. But, I also read the OP's story where he states the subject involved was not a police officer but a contracted "security" officer. In similar situations out here, these people are hired for crowd control and traffic and sometimes where police department supplied reflective vests (it's the law and an insurance requirement). Unfortunately, these sometimes lead to the misfortunate attribution that the person wearing it is a cop - as the OP seems to have affirmed was the case.
If tigerblue really experienced what he claims to have experienced, Commerce City is not a great place to exercise free speech rights - and tasers should be seized as they apparently are being used indiscriminately.

CdwJava

If tigerblue really experienced what he claims to have experienced, Commerce City is not a great place to exercise free speech rights - and tasers should be seized as they apparently are being used indiscriminately.
Certainly seems they are in need of some proper training and/or policies for their use.

Though, contract security doing traffic or crowd control rarely have tasers or batons. Still curious about what actually happened, and by whom. And, it appears that tigerblue's situation could have been avoided had he either (a) kept his mouth shut, or, (b) simply been polite. I find that being an ass because one CAN be one very often has unintended consequences (not to mention that it merely demonstrates for all you that one IS an ass).

quincy

Certainly seems they are in need of some proper training and/or policies for their use.

Though, contract security doing traffic or crowd control rarely have tasers or batons. Still curious about what actually happened, and by whom. And, it appears that tigerblue's situation could have been avoided had he either (a) kept his mouth shut, or, (b) simply been polite. I find that being an ass because one CAN be one very often has unintended consequences (not to mention that it merely demonstrates for all you that one IS an ass).
tigerblue says he now has attorneys interested in what happened to him so he might not return to add additional information until all is resolved (if it wasn't resolved with a settlement agreement in December). Most attorneys will advise their clients to keep their stories off the internet.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I find it curious that in the course of less than 24 hours tigerblue has managed to obtain additional information about the identity of the individual(s) with the tasers, confirm that there is video AND interest lawyers plural in taking the case.

CdwJava

tigerblue says he now has attorneys interested in what happened to him so he might not return to add additional information until all is resolved (if it wasn't resolved with a settlement agreement in December). Most attorneys will advise their clients to keep their stories off the internet.
Understandable, but it's a pity not to know what actually transpired.

Though, I suspect that this entire episode will do little to encourage a new respectful demeanor towards others - especially if he comes away with a check in a few years.

Just Blue

I find it curious that in the course of less than 24 hours tigerblue has managed to obtain additional information about the identity of the individual(s) with the tasers, confirm that there is video AND interest lawyers plural in taking the case.
Things move quickly here in the US. :p

quincy

It is, indeed, curious. :)

CdwJava

Yep. Almost as amazing as those posters who suddenly find their matter resolved and an attorney winning their case on a weekend!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
YOU shouldn't tell the witnesses ANYTHING, lest you taint their eventual testimony.
While I don't claim to read minds, I am guessing that what the OP actually meant was that he would tell (or ask) them for their written statements to present to a prosecutor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">