• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beaten and Tased by Police but Not Arrested

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluetiger82

You need to hire an attorney...don't ask them to work on contingency. Based on what you posted here you really don't seem to have a case.
I have an update. The man who assaulted me was wearing a police vest. But the PD told me that he was a private security officer after all. There is bodycam footage; I confirmed with the detective on the case. I think this update will make lawyers more likely to take my case, at least that's what it seemed when I called them.

quincy

I have an update. The man who assaulted me was wearing a police vest. But the PD told me that he was a private security officer after all. There is bodycam footage; I confirmed with the detective on the case. I think this update will make lawyers more likely to take my case, at least that's what it seemed when I called them.
Okay. Make appointments with a few lawyers to see what they say. Any legal action you might have to pursue would be against the private security officer.

bluetiger82

Given ~20 lawyers aren't interesting in taking your case.... you seem to have no case.
Turns out it was a private security officer with a police vest according to the detective on my case. Also, I was diagnosed with a damaged UCL. But it is healing. I easily could have made the injury seemed worse so a lawyer would take my case. But I am not unethical. You should consider treating victims differently. Have a good life.

bluetiger82

No, it's not correct. Depending on the nature of your injuries or the reason you were in the hospital, there are a number of reasons why you might have been left and NOT arrested. Most often it is because you might have an overnight stay in a hospital and the agency in question does not want to incur additional costs for treatment and guarding you. So, they release you and seek a warrant later on. It's also possible you were released on a mental health detention.

I'm not saying these ARE what happened, only that the fact that you were not arrested is NOT some declaration of your innocence. They'd be pretty foolish to hit you with batons and Tasers and then NOT seek some sort of criminal charge against you, so I suspect there is more to this tale.
Turns out it was a private security guard who contracted with the city who gave him a police vest, according to the detective, and there is bodycam footage available.

bluetiger82

I can totally relate with this poster. I mean...my initial reaction every time a cop utters any words to me is to tell them to F off. Isn't that the way we're supposed to treat law enforcement?
I am very fond of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. So I believe firmly in freedom of speech, even speech you find offensive. Also, the detective on my case informed me today it was a private security guard contracted by the city

bluetiger82

Sounds like he did, or at least tried to, and got a bit of a run-around from the agency involved.

If he has a number of written witness statements he might try going to the DA's office to see if they're interested in pursuing it. Of course, the written statements wouldn't be admissible in court but may help present a good picture to the DA's staff.
Thank you for giving me advice. I will tell the witnesses.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am very fond of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. So I believe firmly in freedom of speech, even speech you find offensive. Also, the detective on my case informed me today it was a private security guard contracted by the city
We respond based on what you tell us.

Good luck.

bluetiger82

Well spanky, since you live in CO you might want to educate yourself with this law.

16-3-103. Stopping of suspect.

(1) A peace officer may stop any person who he reasonably suspects is committing, has committed, or is about to commit a crime and may require him to give his name and address, identification if available, and an explanation of his actions. A peace officer shall not require any person who is stopped pursuant to this section to produce or divulge such person's social security number. The stopping shall not constitute an arrest.

(2) When a peace officer has stopped a person for questioning pursuant to this section and reasonably suspects that his personal safety requires it, he may conduct a pat-down search of that person for weapons.
He was a private security guard it turns out, contracted by the city who gave him a police vest. I have many witnesses of the incident who can attest to brutality. Excessive force is a thing regardless if a crime was committed or not (which there wasn't).

bluetiger82

Although common sense says something about bluetiger and his behavior at the venue attracted the officer's attention, there are rogue cops. It is possible that the officer overreacted to bluetiger's words and bluetiger was doing nothing that could justify the assault.

But, if there are NO attorneys in the area who are willing to meet with bluetiger to discuss the incident, it would appear there is more to the story. The attorneys might want to wait to see if charges are filed against bluetiger.

bluetiger, have you received any medical bills yet for your hospital treatment? Because your injuries were the result of police action, you should be able to seek compensation from the department.

I suggest you file a complaint against the officer with the police department first, then make an appointment to speak with the City Attorney, witness statements in hand.

All facts will matter - and I have a feeling you have left some important facts out of the story you tell here. When you set up appointments to speak with lawyers (and I recommend in-person appointments rather than random calls to assorted attorneys), be totally honest. Do not gloss over your role in the incident.

Good luck.
These legal sites are very strange haha. There is lot more flaming than I thought (not from you), more than any forum I've ever visited. Thank you for helping me. I and 8 others have filed complaints as of now. Turns out the officer was private security contracted by the city who gave him a police vest. I am working with the detective on the case.

bluetiger82

Look, you really don't need to keep explaining that it was a private security guard.
I am responding the all the helpful people who have commented on this thread. I appreciate you advice Zigner. I figure if I want advice, I should respond to people so they know the updated situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">