• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beaten and Tased by Police but Not Arrested

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PayrollHRGuy

He was a private security guard it turns out, contracted by the city who gave him a police vest. I have many witnesses of the incident who can attest to brutality. Excessive force is a thing regardless if a crime was committed or not (which there wasn't).
That does change things somewhat. While I still think an FU was a childish move on your part I have a problem with private security doing anything that makes others think they are cops. I do wish we could get the whole story from you. I find it hard to believe that he tased and beat you because you said FU.

bluetiger82

That does change things somewhat. While I still think an FU was a childish move on your part I have a problem with private security doing anything that makes others think they are cops.
It was. I am not a perfect person and I regret doing it. But I still firmly believe in freedom of speech, so my words do not even slightly justify my assault. But thank you for responding PayrollHRGuy. I hope you have a blessed life.

PayrollHRGuy

It was. I am not a perfect person and I regret doing it. But I still firmly believe in freedom of speech, so my words do not even slightly justify my assault. But thank you for responding PayrollHRGuy. I hope you have a blessed life.
I agree that those words alone shouldn't have resulted in a response as you have suggested. That's why I would like to know the whole story.

bluetiger82

But Stealth should modify her speech because you don't like what she had to say. Odd thing, that.
She has the free speech to say anything she wants, and I have the free speech to say it is disrespectful and that she shouldn't say it. I however do not have the right to tase and beat her because of her speech. Physical assault is the operative factor here.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I still want to know what you're leaving out of the story, because even the additional details you've added don't sound believable as they stand.

quincy

Although working with the police detective can be helpful, I hope you are confident that you are not being investigated for possible charges at the same time.

I recommend you make appointments with lawyers and meet with a few before saying too much to the detective. This is to better ensure your rights are being protected.

Take your medical bills with you when you meet with these lawyers (if you have them). If you have a copy of the video that shows your unfortunate encounter with the officer, take that, too - although the attorney can gain access to it. If your witnesses have already written out their statements in police complaints, those can be important should this wind up in court. You might want to ask the witnesses if they can be available in the future to testify.

You can discuss various legal options with the attorneys you see.

You should ask about attorney fees prior to setting up any meeting. Most attorneys will offer some free minutes of their time to review the facts (often 15-30 minutes) but you might have to pay for an hour or so for their review.

Good luck.

bluetiger82

I still want to know what you're leaving out of the story, because even the additional details you've added don't sound believable as they stand.
I understand. Although because of the new details (namely the confirmation of bodycam footage), lawyers are interested now, so I no longer need advice. Thank you for your time though.

quincy

I understand. Although because of the new details (namely the confirmation of bodycam footage), lawyers are interested now, so I no longer need advice. Thank you for your time though.
Good. If you have the opportunity to post back with what happens, we are always interested in updates.

bluetiger82

Although working with the police detective can be helpful, I hope you are confident that you are not being investigated for possible charges at the same time.

I recommend you make appointments with lawyers and meet with a few before saying too much to the detective. This is to better ensure your rights are being protected.

Take your medical bills with you when you meet with these lawyers (if you have them). If you have a copy of the video that shows your unfortunate encounter with the officer, take that, too - although the attorney can gain access to it. If your witnesses have already written out their statements in police complaints, those can be important should this wind up in court. You might want to ask the witnesses if they can be available in the future to testify.

You can discuss various legal options with the attorneys you see.

You should ask about attorney fees prior to setting up any meeting. Most attorneys will offer some free minutes of their time to review the facts (often 15-30 minutes) but you might have to pay for an hour or so for their review.

Good luck.
Thank you so much. I will take that advice. Thankfully, lawyers are interested because of the confirmation of footage (and I'm also betting that going against a security firm is easier than the police department), so I should be able to get representation. And yes I will update this thread in the future (hope it doesn't take TOO long).

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">