• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Became pregnant while on LTD - will this effect my claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cycling

What is the name of your state? MI

Hello,

I became pregant while on LTD and am due next month. I have managed to keep this from the insurance company because I believed they will use anything to not pay my benefits. I recently went through an appeal and my benefits were reinstated through December. They now what the send me for functional testing, neurological testing, etc and I am not sure if my being pregnant is going to affect anything.

This insurance company has been especially unethical....

Any advice is welcome.

ellencee

cycling
You should have been honest with your LTD benefit provider. There is no law that says you can't get pregnant while on disability or that if you do, you lose your benefits. There is a "law" that if you lie to the insurance provider or withhold information, you can lose your benefits.

You have to take the risk and be honest with your insurance company.

EC

C

cycling

Thank you for the feedback. I didn't lie to them or anyone else, I just did not tell them. I was going through an appeal process and because of the unethical treatment I had received by them in the past I thought it best that they didn't know but I did not hide it from my docs so they coud have found out. My benefits have been reinstated but I now have to go for a FCE and a psychological IME. ( I had a traumatic brain injury as well as many others)

Should I tell them or just show up at the examinations?

Thank you

ellencee

cycling
Not disclosing your pregnancy may cause you some problems with your insurance company. Most continuing eligibility forms for medical information require that (you) provide the names of all treating physicians and list all medical conditions. Pregnancy is considered a normal "abnormal" condition. It would not have negatively impacted your claim for you to have been forthcoming and totally honest. It may even have been in your 'favor' as far as determining eligibilty/disability. In not disclosing all medical information, you may have violated your contract with the insurance company. If your insurance policy contains a clause that failure to disclose all medical information results in denial of benefits, you may not only lose future benefits but have to repay benefits during your pregnancy!

I don't know which you should do, show up or 'fess up. If you wait until your appointment, it may give you a chance to discuss why you withheld the information.

Read your policy for any mention of failure to disclose medical information. It may help you make your decision.

EC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">