• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Becoming A Guardian ???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

holymolygeezzz

What is the name of your state? GA
I am asking a question for a friend. ok, DFACS is involved with this - my friend's husband has a sister that DFACS took her child (2) and her husband's child (9) away from. DFACS took the children out of the home and placed them with the sisters grandparents b/c of drugs and domestic violence. My friend is married into this family but has been very close to the 9 yr old stepdaughter (my friend came into contact with 9yr old when she was 2). The sister is leaving her husband and DFACS is telling her that she might be able to get her 2yr old back, but the 9 yr old will have to stay with the grandparents for now and the sister's husband probally won't get the 9yr old back b/c he is still on drugs and messing up. My friend wants to be the guardian of the 9yr old b/c her real grandparents are old and not in good health and the 9yr old wants to live with her if she can.

My question is, does my friend and her husband have a chance of becoming the guardians of this 9 yr old child? They have been involved in the DFACS family meetings and such. I know this might be confusing but I tried to be as clear as possible.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It's unlikely. Your friend is not related to the 9 yo. I'm assuming she's also not been qualified as a foster parent. It;s most likely that the child will end up with a blood relative or in the system.

H

holymolygeezzz

No. My friend is not qualified as a foster parent. But the 9 yr old has been residing with her stepmother's father and his wife (neither are blood related to the 9 yr old) since DFACS took the children away. DFACS was wanting the maternal grandparents (the father and wife of stepmother of the 9yr old) to get a lawyer and fight for custody of both children. But now that the stepmother is starting to get her mess together, DFACS might let her get her child but not the 9 yr old. My friend is heartbroken about this and wants to be the guardian of the 9yr old and she wanted to know what her options would be. Thanks for replying.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">