• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bed Bugs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Squatch

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

My employer is forcing us to deal with these things regularly now as part of our job, in order to save money on irradication. It has never been a part of our job description.

The chemicals unless able to settle for a few days, have sent me to urgent care for treatment once already while they just laugh about it.

I have been employed for over 7 years at this place, but their insistance on saving the almighty dollar is now adding to our workload, and fear of job loss.

They claim we have all been "trained" (sent to a room that was partially treated and told by the exterminator what his theories were about them, while every other company has their own opinions) but none of us has ever been certified in dealing with these, and we were told if we want, we can wear paint suits, but no procedure has been put in place except to fly by the seat of their pants in dealing with these things.

All of us have griped about it, as they send close to 14 people in and out of these rooms but I am the one who has been vocal about it, and now they are trying to paper trail me out instead of dealing with the issue properly. CDC and EPA consider these things a public health hazard like a lice outbreak. And we all know it is just a matter of time before I bring them home too, as others have already. Do we have any recourse outside of quitting or getting fired?

Last weekend they put 7 infested rooms back in use for a weekend knowing people would be in them, then took them out again on Monday to remove the bugs. That alone would tell me negligence, but I have no clue.

Last edited:

quincy

I suggest you report the bed bug infestation, and your working conditions, to your state Department of Public Health or your local health department.

Heir7

I hope you are taking preventative measures to keep bed bugs from hitching a ride home on your clothing and personal effects. All it takes is one pregnant female being introduced into your home and before long you will have an infestation inside your own home. They can even infest your car.

There are ways to get rid of them without using dangerous insecticides, but it is probably too complicated and too involved to go into on this thread.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

My employer is forcing us to deal with these things regularly now as part of our job, in order to save money on irradication. It has never been a part of our job description.

The chemicals unless able to settle for a few days, have sent me to urgent care for treatment once already while they just laugh about it.

I have been employed for over 7 years at this place, but their insistance on saving the almighty dollar is now adding to our workload, and fear of job loss.

They claim we have all been "trained" (sent to a room that was partially treated and told by the exterminator what his theories were about them, while every other company has their own opinions) but none of us has ever been certified in dealing with these, and we were told if we want, we can wear paint suits, but no procedure has been put in place except to fly by the seat of their pants in dealing with these things.

All of us have griped about it, as they send close to 14 people in and out of these rooms but I am the one who has been vocal about it, and now they are trying to paper trail me out instead of dealing with the issue properly. CDC and EPA consider these things a public health hazard like a lice outbreak. And we all know it is just a matter of time before I bring them home too, as others have already. Do we have any recourse outside of quitting or getting fired?

Last weekend they put 7 infested rooms back in use for a weekend knowing people would be in them, then took them out again on Monday to remove the bugs. That alone would tell me negligence, but I have no clue.
Although this is an older thread, created in May by forum visitor Squatch, who has visited the forum once to post this thread and, to my knowledge, has not returned, here are some links with information on bed bugs (what they are, where they come from and how to eradicate them) and how to contact the Environmental Protection Agency about any health effects suffered as a result of working with or around pesticides.

Southern Nevada Health District: http://www.southernnevadahealthdistrict.org/health-topics/bed-bugs.php

Nevada Health: http://health.nv.gov/HCQC/BED_BUGS_PowerPoint.pdf

Environmental Protection Agency: http://www.epa.gov/opp00001/health/contacts.htm

There are a couple of Nevada statutes that relate to the extermination of vermin and the sanitation of public accommodations (NRS 447.030 and NRS 444.552) but these do not seem to relate directly to the concerns expressed by Squatch in his post.

Squatch may want to report his working conditions to his state's Department of Public Health (http://www.health.nv.gov/BFHS_EHS.htm) and/or he can let his working condition concerns be known to the EPA through the link provided above - if, after all this time, he has not resolved the issues he had that brought him to this forum in May.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">