• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being accused of Message Board Libel?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KittysKat

What is the name of your state?FL

I am a bride to be and we post recommendations as well people who are/were not good to work with as vendors for our weddings. We post our stories and give advice to others. Here is the story I posted all of which is 100% true.

Well ladies, I hate to post negative things but had to warn you all of XXXX for hair and makeup. Here's the story:
I mailed her a deposit and a few days later she emails me to call her saying she got another deposit from another bride in Naples. She had told me before the first deposit she gets "wins" her services. So I call her and tell her I sent the deposit but since she had another one not to worry, to take the deposit she had for the other bride. She told me she would rather do my party because the deposit on hand was for only the bride and it was far away. My party was for 5 people hair and makeup. So I said okay you'll get the check any day now.
A few days went by and I had one BM back out due to money problems. So I email XXX telling her I had a BM back out, can I apply the balance to the final head count? She comes back with a crazy email about how she gave up another big job to do my wedding, that she's uncomfortable now, that now she's going to charge full price plus wants money for travel (her travel contract states 30 miles=fee, she's traveling about 15 for me).
So I stopped payment on the check. Told her to please take the other client, do what's best for her. That I was thinking of picking up the entire bill for all 5 of us and if I would be able to would let her know in the morning.
Well I okay'd it with the fiancee and let XXX know that now yes I could gurantee her 5 girls, that on the trial would bring her cash. She was happy again.
Last Friday was the trial. She cancelled on me at the last second. I rescheduled for today. I show up at her house and there is no answer at the door. She does not answer the house phone or her cell phone.
I left a message saying I hope everything is okay but that I could not take the chance that she is unreliable and will not use her. She never called me, nothing.

I have no idea what happened to her but just thought I'd post my story and you all can make up your own minds on if you want to use her. I feel that I gave her extreme leeway and patience and went out of my way to keep her happy when it should have been the other way around.

So- now the vendor is emailing me threatening to sue me for libel. From what I've read about what libel is the statement must be untrue. My statements are not and I can absolutely prove them. Does she have a case against me?

HomeGuru

KittysKat said:
What is the name of your state?FL

I am a bride to be and we post recommendations as well people who are/were not good to work with as vendors for our weddings. We post our stories and give advice to others. Here is the story I posted all of which is 100% true.

Well ladies, I hate to post negative things but had to warn you all of XXXX for hair and makeup. Here's the story:
I mailed her a deposit and a few days later she emails me to call her saying she got another deposit from another bride in Naples. She had told me before the first deposit she gets "wins" her services. So I call her and tell her I sent the deposit but since she had another one not to worry, to take the deposit she had for the other bride. She told me she would rather do my party because the deposit on hand was for only the bride and it was far away. My party was for 5 people hair and makeup. So I said okay you'll get the check any day now.
A few days went by and I had one BM back out due to money problems. So I email XXX telling her I had a BM back out, can I apply the balance to the final head count? She comes back with a crazy email about how she gave up another big job to do my wedding, that she's uncomfortable now, that now she's going to charge full price plus wants money for travel (her travel contract states 30 miles=fee, she's traveling about 15 for me).
So I stopped payment on the check. Told her to please take the other client, do what's best for her. That I was thinking of picking up the entire bill for all 5 of us and if I would be able to would let her know in the morning.
Well I okay'd it with the fiancee and let XXX know that now yes I could gurantee her 5 girls, that on the trial would bring her cash. She was happy again.
Last Friday was the trial. She cancelled on me at the last second. I rescheduled for today. I show up at her house and there is no answer at the door. She does not answer the house phone or her cell phone.
I left a message saying I hope everything is okay but that I could not take the chance that she is unreliable and will not use her. She never called me, nothing.

I have no idea what happened to her but just thought I'd post my story and you all can make up your own minds on if you want to use her. I feel that I gave her extreme leeway and patience and went out of my way to keep her happy when it should have been the other way around.

So- now the vendor is emailing me threatening to sue me for libel. From what I've read about what libel is the statement must be untrue. My statements are not and I can absolutely prove them. Does she have a case against me?
**A: no, she has no case if what you said is true.

KittysKat

UPdate

Well now the makeup artist claims we did not have an appointment although when I emailed if she could reschedule for next Friday at 4 and she emailed me back saying "as of right now this Friday is good." She never emailed me saying something came up or that Friday had turned not good for her. I assumed the appointment was made.

She claims that after she said "as of right now this Friday is good." that I did not confirm it and hence we did not have an appointment.

Does that help her case at all?

This person seems to be a bit nuts (sending me curse word emails, saying she's sorry then cursing me, very strange).

Any advice?

Happy Trails

KittysKat said:
Well now the makeup artist claims we did not have an appointment although when I emailed if she could reschedule for next Friday at 4 and she emailed me back saying "as of right now this Friday is good." She never emailed me saying something came up or that Friday had turned not good for her. I assumed the appointment was made.

She claims that after she said "as of right now this Friday is good." that I did not confirm it and hence we did not have an appointment.

Does that help her case at all?

This person seems to be a bit nuts (sending me curse word emails, saying she's sorry then cursing me, very strange).

Any advice?
**Save all e-mails.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">