• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being asked to pay on a credit account i did not open!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


christine mwai

From Alabama.Last year i received a forwarded credit bill and realized that someone(unknown) had used my personal info to open a credit card account and maxed it out-$1200.I called the security dept.of the credit co.to report this and also filed a police report.I have been very co-operative with the lady assigned to my case at the credit co.,but she is as rude and suspicious as can be despite numerous discrapancies in the infor. used to open the account when compared to my accurate info.recently she sent me a letter saying she had closed the investigation and i am supposed to pay up.I feel I have done all i can to prove i had nothing to do with opening this account and this is a case of identity theft.This was the first of 4 other credit cards opened in my name.the other credit co.have canceled the accounts after their investigations.I feel this lady assingned to my case at this credit co.was biased right from the start.i cannot pay for someone else's shopping spree.Can you give me some legal advice?-i did put a credit alert on my credit files with all three credit reporting agencies.help!!


Senior Member
Write the credit card company (certified, return reciept requested) and tell them that the debt is not yours, they did not prove you created the debt and to not contact you again concerning the debt. State that the above is in accordance with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. They will do one of two things, drop the account or sue you. If they sue you, all you should have to do is prove that the signature on the application does not match yours. Plus you stated that the bill was forwarded, show proof that you were never a resident at the billing address (utility bills work great as proof). I will guess that the letter will cause them to drop the account, it will cost them more than what you owe to collect, especially if they are an out of state outfit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential