• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being charged 120.00 for a $15 check that bounced?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I got a letter from a collection company in Wisconsin stating that I owed $120 for a check that had been returned. The check was written in SC and the payment was received in SC everywhere that I go it says that the returned check fee is $25. I informed them of this and that I would send them a money order for the $15 plus the $25 returned check fee allowed here and they laughed and said that they would only allow the settlement they stated and no partial payments that they had decided on an out of court settlement and that they were noting that I am in agreement that I want to be sued? I told him that I was agreeing to no such thing and that he better check the laws in SC since he is not licensed to practice law in SC, but only in Wisconsin. Can they truly do this? Am I wrong about the "returned check fee" and what can I do if I am right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential