• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being denied visitation with my daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Louisiana.

I am a single mother with two children. I have custody of my oldest daughter. My youngest daughters father and I were never married and upon our splitting up, never filed for custody. We have worked on a verbal custody, visitation and financial agreement for the last 11 years. Upon my request, my daughter went to live with her father for a short while when she was 8 months old due to post partum depression which I couldn't seem to shake. I still saw and kept my daughter several times a month during this period while continuing to solely raise and support my oldest daughter.

After I recovered I went to bring my daughter back to live with me and her father requested that things remain as they were because he had become so atted to her. Noticing through all of this that he was a good father to her and they had formed a great bond and was p[roviding a good environment for her I agree to his request. I continued to get her 3 to 4 days and nights per week until his job took him to Monroe, La. (2 hours from Shreveport). Visitation with my daughter decreased to weekends, summers and holidays.

Her father married when she was almost 4 and she got a new baby brother by the time she started kindergarten. Due to the addition of school and a sibling, visitation again decreased. I began getting her every other weekend, every other week during the summer and every other holiday. As there were now additional cost for her with school, We agreed that instead of paying an actual child support I would begin driving the entire distance between our two homes to pick her up and drop her of for my time with her.

Two years ago, my daughter began requesting that she miss a weekend so she could attend parties and functions in Monroe. I agree a couple of times then began to notice that it was becoming a habit. I started telling her no to most request of this kind but this past year her father and stepmother are telling her yes! Without consulting me. They are allowing and encouraging her to speak to me in a very disrespectfull manner to get her way. Now they are making plans for her on my weekends and refusing to allow me to get her. Last month, I saw my daughter a total of 23 hours for the entire month.

Due to the apparent fact that they are trying to weed me out of her life, I want my daughter to come and live with me as I have always encouraged my oldest daughter to visit her father and even worked with him on several occassions over the past 14 years so he could have her even when it is not his court specified time and have never once denied him visitation. However, I do not want my daughter to be unhappy and have decided to fille for visitation so it is set in stone and they can't deny me my time. I need advise as to how to go about this correctly. When I told my daughters father that I was planning on doing this, he told our daughter that I was going to try to take her away from him. She called me and told me that she would tell the judge that she didn't want to see me anymore. I still intend to file for visitation but need some serious help so I don't mess this up for her or myself as I cannot afford a lawyer. Please, any advice - even negative - will be appreciated. Thanks.What is the name of your state?

Last edited:

Isis1

double post. you need to lock one thread. it really causes confusion to the seniors. they don't like it. it causes them to not pay any attention. causing you to not get the information you need. :D

also break apart your post to include paragraphs and spaces. it is really hard to read all bunched up like that.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">