• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being Harassed by local government

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MontGR

What is the name of your state? Montana

In the small town where I live, there is an individual that has a years-long vendetta against me. He has a great amount of influence on the mayor and town clerk, and uses them to harass me. If this can be proved, would that be grounds for a lawsuit against the town?

quincy

What is the name of your state? Montana

In the small town where I live, there is an individual that has a years-long vendetta against me. He has a great amount of influence on the mayor and town clerk, and uses them to harass me. If this can be proved, would that be grounds for a lawsuit against the town?
How are you being harassed?

xylene

What is the nature of the vendetta?

I don't want to offend you, but sometimes when people state that 'important' people are victimizing them in hard to prove ways, it can be the signs of a thought disorder.

Even if you are being truly bothered by these people, I just want you to be aware of that.

MontGR

The latest incident in a series taking place over the last 10 years, he has convinced the mayor and clerk to charge me for water, even though I am not connected to the town water system, as I have my own well. There is no legal justification for this. The town ordinance does not require me to be connected.

MontGR

Previously, he convinced a construction crew to put large rocks in the unpaved street leading to my driveway. I threatened to sue the town if they did not remove the rock. In spite of this man's protests, the town removed the rock.

MontGR

What is the nature of the vendetta?

I don't want to offend you, but sometimes when people state that 'important' people are victimizing them in hard to prove ways, it can be the signs of a thought disorder.

Even if you are being truly bothered by these people, I just want you to be aware of that.
The vendetta came about because 10 years ago when I was Mayor, I had letters sent out to about 8 people requesting that they clean up their property (junk, overgrown weeks, etc.). Everyone else complied, this guy didn't. Eventually, I had the county attorney file charges against him for maintaining a public nuisance. He's never going to let me forget it.

xylene

Thank you for clarifying.

The latest incident in a series taking place over the last 10 years, he has convinced the mayor and clerk to charge me for water, even though I am not connected to the town water system, as I have my own well. There is no legal justification for this. The town ordinance does not require me to be connected.
You'll need to contest the bill, and then go to court to test the applicability of the ordinance.
Are you using town sewers - if yes, expect an uphill battle.
Are you in a water assessment disctrict - if yes, expect an uphill battle.

Previously, he convinced a construction crew to put large rocks in the unpaved street leading to my driveway. I threatened to sue the town if they did not remove the rock. In spite of this man's protests, the town removed the rock.
There's a lot to unpack, but it also seems to be a past issue, if an inconvenient one at the time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">