• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being laid-off, losing commision

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HER42

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

Hi, I am posting for my brother (I usually spend my time in the Family Law area). He just got laid off from his job selling commercial grade piping for the greater MI area. He met with his employers today and they are offering him severence in the amount of two months pay and in addition, he will receive his commisions for all products that are actually paid for by COB today. Problem is, his company offers their customers 90 days credit to pay up their accounts, so sales that my brother has made anywhere from yesterday to 89 days ago, probably won't be paid by COB today (the salesman does not get his commision until accounts are paid).

Does he just have to suck this up and lose the commision? Is he SOL because he is getting a severence package? Can he take them to small claims court after 90 days to collect the commisions he has not received?

Thanks for your help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">