• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being legal and careful

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Just lost

What is the name of your state? PA
Lease month/month. Planning on moving within next few months. What is the best/legal way for me to move, so LL will have less excuses in holding my security deposit?
My thoughts: Certified mail with signiture required upon receipt, of my 30 day notice. Then after those 30 days I send another letter of my new address requesting my security deposit. Also, is it 30 days the LL must return something to me, whether it is the $ or, reasons why no $? And if LL does not send anything within these 30 days, where do I go to file a complaint? Without a lawyer.
Is it a better idea to do a walk through with the LL, Or, for me to video/take still pictures of apartment?

Thank You
just lost

S

sonofamoo

Yes YES and YES.......

video tape and take lots of pictures before you hand back the keys....

YES if you can do a walk through with the landlord take pictures of the damage he points out,

Also have that days newspaper in the pictures, it would verify the date you took them...

after the 30 days if the landlord doesnot return the security you can file in small claims court, or whichever court handles small claims. (magistrate civil) depending on your state

Make sure he gets the certified letter Return Reciept, WITH your rent check AND new address (if you know it) before the 1st of the month....

I would send a letter certified return reciept as soon as you do know your new address.

Then again if no depsoit is recieved after 30 days send a demand letter with your new address again, of course send it certified return reciept.

3 certified letters are what $4 each plus 2 or 3 rolls of film...maybe $30-40 total, cheap insurance to cover your azzzzzzzz.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">