• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being Removed for Cause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PRMC Secretary

What is the name of your state? RI
I was recently elected to my HOA, which I’ve served on before. I am currently corresponding secretary. Our president is very controlling and does not share much information with members of the HOA he isn’t friendly with. After two meetings where I questioned some expenditures (why were we paying for materials, not the contractor? Why were we meeting on a day when not all members could attend? Where was the correspondence I was supposed to respond to?) The president has called a special meeting to discuss removing me for cause.

What would be considered cause? This is the second time he is doing this to me. He’s also refused to repair my deck, which has uneven boards causing a tripping hazard. Do I have grounds for harassment? Discrimation? What are my options here?

There are only two other HOA members who will support me, both of whom just came on the committee with me.

quincy

What is the name of your state? RI
I was recently elected to my HOA, which I’ve served on before. I am currently corresponding secretary. Our president is very controlling and does not share much information with members of the HOA he isn’t friendly with. After two meetings where I questioned some expenditures (why were we paying for materials, not the contractor? Why were we meeting on a day when not all members could attend? Where was the correspondence I was supposed to respond to?) The president has called a special meeting to discuss removing me for cause.

What would be considered cause? This is the second time he is doing this to me. He’s also refused to repair my deck, which has uneven boards causing a tripping hazard. Do I have grounds for harassment? Discrimation? What are my options here?

There are only two other HOA members who will support me, both of whom just came on the committee with me.
You should refer to your association bylaws.

PRMC Secretary

I have referred to them.
Members may not be removed without cause unless notice of the request for their removal and their resignation has been given to them and a special meeting has been called for that purpose.

I do not intend to resign.

PRMC Secretary

why not focus on getting a new president elected?
We don’t have enough votes. He has a group of other members who follow him blindly. One of the new members who came on with me should be president. She’s got 30 years of accounts payable experience and they wouldn’t elect her treasurere.

LdiJ

We don’t have enough votes. He has a group of other members who follow him blindly. One of the new members who came on with me should be president. She’s got 30 years of accounts payable experience and they wouldn’t elect her treasurere.
When you say that you do not have enough votes, are you talking about votes from members of the HOA board or members of the actual HOA? It seems to me that you and two other board members had enough votes to get elected to the HOA board. It seems to me like a concerted campaign might be able to result in an election of a new president.

PRMC Secretary

When you say that you do not have enough votes, are you talking about votes from members of the HOA board or members of the actual HOA? It seems to me that you and two other board members had enough votes to get elected to the HOA board. It seems to me like a concerted campaign might be able to result in an election of a new president.
I was talking about HOA members. They have a clique. It’s moot now. They voted me off. The current president and the others made it quite personal as the cause was that I am too argumentative, have a contentious attitude, and am too responsive as secretary. As the president of the HOA said, “He dictates the meeting.” Hmmm - Houston I think we have a problem.

M E M

Houston you have a problem. Time to open the books. For years my HOA ran short of money until we replaced our management company. Within two months our accounts turned positive and continued to grow. Request copies of the financial documents, if the Board refuse take them to court. Stay strong you can make a difference. You will face opposition from others, we did. Years later and $100,000's in the positive there are still homeowners spreading rumors the management company quit b/c they didn't like a few new Board members.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Houston you have a problem. Time to open the books. For years my HOA ran short of money until we replaced our management company. Within two months our accounts turned positive and continued to grow. Request copies of the financial documents, if the Board refuse take them to court. Stay strong you can make a difference. You will face opposition from others, we did. Years later and $100,000's in the positive there are still homeowners spreading rumors the management company quit b/c they didn't like a few new Board members.
This post is 8 months old - the OP hasn't been back since. Please don't post to old threads. Also, please read the thread - your situation is not even related to the OP's.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">