• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being served - notice of pendency?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anticrom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Long story short -- I sued my old landlord about 4 years ago because the house I moved into was infested with mice, among numerous other violations. My roommates and I won in court (we won $1,500 but were ordered to pay her $1,000 for rent). She gave us a check with a fake bank account # and never actually paid us, but we ended up letting it go since it was only $500 net for us. A week and a half ago I got a call from Provest, a company which serves legal documents. I confirmed my address, and was told someone would be by in the next week to serve me papers. Based on the information the woman gave me, I knew it had to do with my old landlord, so I searched the county court documents and found a "Notice of Pendency" which lists myself, my two old roommates, and a handful of other people as debtors including my old landlord, and "NATIONSTAR MORTGAGE LLC" as the creditor.

It doesn't list any $ value, and I can't view the 5 page document online. I can't figure out why this LLC would have me and my roommates listed as debtors along with my landlord. From what I've been able to read online, it sounds like a notice of pendency is somewhat related/similar to a lien, and if anything, I should be listed as a creditor who is receiving my judgment from small claims court.

I still haven't been served ( I also read that in NY, a notice of pendency needs to be served withing 30 days after being issued, which has now passed) If they do show up before I move in a few days, my roommate is planning on telling them the person they're looking for doesn't live there anymore. The only scenario I can think of is that the mortgage company is trying to come after me for the $ I was supposed to have won in court (which I never received), but that doesn't seem legal or logical.
Thanks in advance for any help. Maybe someone has experienced something similar to this and can help me figure out what's going on?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">