• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being sued by Discover

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

batorideikou

I'm from Pennsylvania to start off.... Now I have an incredibly crappy retail job, and don't get paid very much $/hr, and I have other financial obligations, but about 2 years ago now I got a Discover card with a $6000 limit, which I got extremely charge happy with, as it was my 1st CC. I was making payments for about 6 months and then I missed one, and then things just kinda snowballed and I ended up talking to them about 6 months after not making payments and started on a "repair plan" with them. Paid $150 a month for like 4 months and they said that things'd be done and on track after 4 months, well the payments kept going, but I ended up deciding to try a consolidation place to redice what I'd have to pay. That place gave me the runaround and didn't work, and long story short, I haven't paid Discover anything since like August or July of last year. So they tried to send me "pay 1/2! We're here to help!" notices, and all kind of other stuff. So then after that good cop routine and not answering them for the past 5-6 months, they sent me a registered letter saying "consider this your last notice," bad copping me. So they said if they didn't hear from me by 8 PM today (Jan 31st) they'd go to pursue further legal action. My amount owed now is about $7000 with interest. I honestly do not have the $$ to do this.... back in September there was a flood here and my car was caught in it and I've been fixing it every other week during the winter here, as it's filled with water and has various things wrong with it, I have a school payment to make (not a student loan payment), I have rent and utils and car insurance, I truly do not have the money to afford $291/a month or whatever they wanted last time they sent me something. Any ideas on what I should do? After reading other postings, I'm guessing I should prolly call them before 8 PM or else I'll end up owing a whole lot more.... that I can't afford

-Brad

ellago

Call them up and try to work things out. You can't pay the initial settlement they've offered? Then tell them that and see if they can arrange something else. Offer to pay a percentage like 10 to 15% of what you owe over a course of 3 or 4 months.

I hope you've learned a lesson from this.

Y

ylen13

file for bankruptcy, yes it will affect your cc report really hard but will let you start with clean plate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">