• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being Sued - Changes Requested to Mediated Settlement Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mdunlap1979

What is the name of your state? TX

Hello,

I'm in need of some advice so I can determine the best approach moving forward.

Background:
I've been divorced about a year, was married for 9 years and we have 2 children. As part of the divorce process, the ex-wife wanted to go to a mediator and attempt to mediate our divorce vs. going to court first. She selected the mediator service and I was in agreement to use it. As part of that mediation process we eventually reached an agreement and the MSA itself states it is irrevocable in bold and underlined and we both signed it - I believe that makes it legitimate. Furthermore, that agreement eventually was incorporated into a decree which we both signed in court and presented for the courts approval. It was approved and it has been adhered to by both parties for a little over a year now without much issue. About 5 months ago she remarried and that's about the times problems started.

Items in the MSA related to probably standard stuff, possession schedule, who has the kids on holidays, who claims them for taxes, child support (previously agreed to at $250.00 + me paying insurance) and 50/50 custody.

Issue:

About a week ago my ex-wife contacted me via US mail wanting to modify several of the items called out above along with some additional items. She included a form for me to sign and mail back and her lawyer would make the changes and submit them to the court to be entered into a revised decree. I declined all the changes and simply responded that I do not agree with the changes and that the original decree guidance would be followed. More details: she wants to change her primary residence, change her geographic restriction, remove me from making decisions related to medical, education and substantially increase child support and reduce my periods of possession.

She replied back stating that if I do not agree, she will proceed to have her lawyer move forward with filing a suit to get the items she wants to change adhered to. I received a call from her lawyer yesterday asking if I had representation and if so, who so correspondence can be sent.

Questions:
My understanding was that if her and I can't reach an agreement on any requested changes that we had to go back to mediation to resolve - I wasn't aware she can just drag me back to court.

I was also under the impression that a MSA (when properly executed of course) cannot be modified (unless both parties agree) which is why they are so important

As part of the mediation process I gave up substantial investments, property and other tangible goods to land on the agreement we have now and these changes she wishes to perform a year later make me feel like I gave up a lot to get nothing back in return. Had I known a year later she wanted to modify basically the entire agreement I wouldn't have given so much.

Is what she's attempting to do even possible?

Thoughts or comments appreciated.

Thanks
MD

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Of course, it's possible. If you're required to go to mediation first, then you go to mediation. If you can't reach an agreement, she can file a motion to modify with the court (she'd file, then mediation would kick in). Whether or not mediation is required first may depend on your order and/or state statute.

You can also file first. Same deal w/mediation. There would be guidelines in place for what needs to be proven wrt to custody changes and/or relocation. But nothing is ever written in stone.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? TX

Hello,

I'm in need of some advice so I can determine the best approach moving forward.

Background:
I've been divorced about a year, was married for 9 years and we have 2 children. As part of the divorce process, the ex-wife wanted to go to a mediator and attempt to mediate our divorce vs. going to court first. She selected the mediator service and I was in agreement to use it. As part of that mediation process we eventually reached an agreement and the MSA itself states it is irrevocable in bold and underlined and we both signed it - I believe that makes it legitimate. Furthermore, that agreement eventually was incorporated into a decree which we both signed in court and presented for the courts approval. It was approved and it has been adhered to by both parties for a little over a year now without much issue. About 5 months ago she remarried and that's about the times problems started.

Items in the MSA related to probably standard stuff, possession schedule, who has the kids on holidays, who claims them for taxes, child support (previously agreed to at $250.00 + me paying insurance) and 50/50 custody.

Issue:

About a week ago my ex-wife contacted me via US mail wanting to modify several of the items called out above along with some additional items. She included a form for me to sign and mail back and her lawyer would make the changes and submit them to the court to be entered into a revised decree. I declined all the changes and simply responded that I do not agree with the changes and that the original decree guidance would be followed. More details: she wants to change her primary residence, change her geographic restriction, remove me from making decisions related to medical, education and substantially increase child support and reduce my periods of possession.

She replied back stating that if I do not agree, she will proceed to have her lawyer move forward with filing a suit to get the items she wants to change adhered to. I received a call from her lawyer yesterday asking if I had representation and if so, who so correspondence can be sent.

Questions:
My understanding was that if her and I can't reach an agreement on any requested changes that we had to go back to mediation to resolve - I wasn't aware she can just drag me back to court.
You were wrong about that.

I was also under the impression that a MSA (when properly executed of course) cannot be modified (unless both parties agree) which is why they are so important
You cannot modify a property settlement in most instances (unless fraud of some sort was committed), however matters regarding children are always fluid and modifiable.

As part of the mediation process I gave up substantial investments, property and other tangible goods to land on the agreement we have now and these changes she wishes to perform a year later make me feel like I gave up a lot to get nothing back in return. Had I known a year later she wanted to modify basically the entire agreement I wouldn't have given so much.
I am sorry that this is happening, but again, matters regarding children are always modifiable. Now, that doesn't mean that someone automatically gets the modification that they want, but depending on the details, they very well might.

Is what she's attempting to do even possible?
It depends on what she wants to do. If she wants to move 5 miles away odds are the judge will grant her that. If she wants to move 500 miles away that is a whole 'nuther story.

zddoodah

As part of the divorce process, the ex-wife wanted to go to a mediator and attempt to mediate our divorce vs. going to court first.
I don't really understand this because you cannot get a divorce except from a court. When you say "going to court," do you mean going to trial -- i.e., you tried to resolve the issues through mediation so that trial would be unnecessary?

Questions:
This isn't a question. She certainly can "drag [you] back to court" and, in fact, only the court can modify the existing decree. Does the decree mandate mediation before either of you drags the other back to court?

That's not correct. Certain things in a divorce decree (whether based on an MSA or otherwise) are always subject to modification.

You can certainly point this out as part of your argument in opposition to the modifications she is seeking.

Most importantly: she has a lawyer, so you need one also. Otherwise, you'll be taking a rubber knife to a gunfight.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't really understand this because you cannot get a divorce except from a court. When you say "going to court," do you mean going to trial -- i.e., you tried to resolve the issues through mediation so that trial would be unnecessary?
Re-read what was written and apply some real-world common sense to it. The OP and his (now) ex were trying to resolve matters through mediation so that they didn't have to ask the court to resolve matters for them. You do know how mediation works in the court system, right?

Most importantly: she has a lawyer, so you need one also. Otherwise, you'll be taking a rubber knife to a gunfight.
I could not agree more with this.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The timeline is similar, the number of children is the same, but the details are significantly different.
I agree that there are differences...but they could have been attributed to different points of views and interpretations. That's why I asked :)

ETA: Well, except that the child support was a pretty significant difference...

LdiJ

I agree that there are differences...but they could have been attributed to different points of views and interpretations. That's why I asked :)

ETA: Well, except that the child support was a pretty significant difference...
She said that no child support was ordered at all.
He says that she wants a substantial increase, which would indicate that child support was being paid currently.

She mentions nothing about changing the timeshare, remarrying or relocating. She only wants to modify who claims the child and to establish child support.

To me, the details are too substantially different to be attributed to different points of view and interpretations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">